3 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2016 2:45 AM by ch0c0halic

Filemaker 14 theme compatibility with Filemaker 13 clients

dobunzli

Hello,

I am considering migrating from my old classic theme to a new Filemaker 14 based theme.

My production environnement is a Filemaker 14 Server with three Filemaker 13 clients and one Filemaker 14 advanced client. I am stuck with those Filemaker 13 clients as they are not involved in those crashes.

I want to see if migrating to a Filemaker 14 theme based solution will solve those crashes that I have only with my Filemaker 14 client.

My question: Will I be able to use the same configuration, i.e. Filemaker 13 clients with a Filemaker 14 theme based solution without any problems ?

I have read that it is problematic to open a Filemaker 14 theme based solution with Filemaker 12.

Is that problem also true with Filemaker 13 ?

Before I move my Filemaker 13 clients to 14 clients, I want to first test if those annoying crashes disappear.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

• 1. Re: Filemaker 14 theme compatibility with Filemaker 13 clients
          schamblee

There are not any official test with FM13 clients connecting to FM14.  FMI would suggest upgrading your clients to FM14.   The themes are CSS, but in general the rule is that anything that is new in FM14 will not work in prior versions.   I suggest making backups before attempting this type test.  You may have to go back to a backup and import your data. 

Have you ran recover on this Database in FMP14?  Crashes are usually cause by corruption in the file.  Yes, sometime the corruption is not detect until the database is ran in a newer version of FM.   If FM detects corruption then after FM fixes the file it is recommend to go to a backup file that does not have the issue then import your data into this backup file and do not use the fix database.

FM does not always find corruption but it still does not mean that the file is not corrupt.  Objects can become corrupt.  Have you attempted to rebuild the layout without copying/pasting object to the new layout?  corruption can be copied.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 14 theme compatibility with Filemaker 13 clients
            dobunzli

Hello,

Thanks for your answer and suggestions, and sorry for my late reply.

Have you ran recover on this Database in FMP14?  Crashes are usually cause by corruption in the file.

Yes. No problem at all detected.

Have you attempted to rebuild the layout without copying/pasting object to the new layout?  c

No I didn't, but thats why I was considering moving from the old classic theme to a new Filemaker 14 based theme.

• 3. Re: Filemaker 14 theme compatibility with Filemaker 13 clients
              ch0c0halic

The Classic theme was removed from FMP 14. IIRC it was suggested that it be changed in all layouts.

One problem discussed was that Web Direct doesn't render Classic Theme correctly.

The discussion was on the FileMaker Experts forum, subject: "WebDirect just stopped rendering Classic Theme properly on both Windows and Mac".

The Classic Theme was used when converting files. It is suggested in a Knowledge base article about converting files that the Classic Theme be changed after conversion. I don't know why but it may be the Classic theme is not really a true Theme but actually a conglomerate of individually assigned attributes to each object. Rendering that would be very inefficient and could include attributes no longer supported.