11 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2016 7:39 AM by BruceRobertson

List View Problem

satcowitz

I have a layout with some subsummary parts and when I view it in form view it appears correctly, but when I look at it in list view most of my formatting is gone. When I first set it up this didn't happen.

In list view only the body and header are shown, not the subsummary parts.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Larry

• 1. Re: List View Problem
          BillisSaved

Good afternoon satcowitz,

I hope your day is going well. Would it be possible for you to provide a bit more information (e.g., your goal, perhaps a screenshot) Have a great day!

God bless,

Bill

• 2. Re: List View Problem
            satcowitz

Thanks Bill,

In list view only the body and header are shown, not the subsummary parts.

I hope that makes it much clearer!

Lary

• 3. Re: List View Problem
              BillisSaved

Hey satcowitz,

Make sure you've included the sub summary parts on your layout and that the records are sorted by the appropriate field, or the sub summary parts won't display. Hope this helps.

God bless,

Bill

• 4. Re: List View Problem
                satcowitz

Bill,

It turned out that the problem was that FileMaker  is sorting based on "current layout" rather than "current table" by default. I can manually go to Sort and change it and that fixes the problem, but I really need this to happen automatically. I have a script run on layout using the "Sort Records" command and it looks to be set up properly, but it doesn't do the trick.

Does this make sense? What am I missing?

Thanks again!

Larry

• 5. Re: List View Problem
                  BruceRobertson

"It turned out that the problem was that FileMaker  is sorting based on current layout rather than current table by default."

"Does this make sense?"

No.

There is no such operation as "sorting based on current layout"

You'll need to provide more details.

• 6. Re: List View Problem
                    BillisSaved

Good evening satcowitz,

Without seeing a sample file, it's difficult to diagnose what the precise problem might be. However, based on your discovery - that sorting manually produces the intended results - I would guess there must be an issue with the script you've implemented. If you can post your script or a sample file, I'm sure someone here will be able to steer you in the right direction. Have a great evening!

God bless,

Bill

• 7. Re: List View Problem
                      satcowitz

Here's the window I get when I click on the "Sort" button on the main window:

It shows "Current Layout".

Here's the same window when I change it to "Current Time".

When I click on "Sort" in this window above and go back to my layout all is good.

Here is  a screen shot (below) of my script with the "Sort Records" window open. It shows "Current Table" but this is not taking effect. This script runs on layout enter.

Thanks again for any help.

Larry

• 8. Re: List View Problem
                        dtcgnet

In your screenshot, the left hand side is just showing you fields available that you can sort. The "Current Layout" is just showing you the fields that you have on your layout. The "Current Table" shows a table you've selected, which in this case is "time". That way, you can sort using a field which is not actually displayed on the layout.

What's going on, most likely, is that as soon as you enter the layout, records are sorted as soon as the layout loads. After that you are either finding new records or doing something else, but when that is happening, you are not issuing another sort command. The Sort is displaying what the last sort was because that's the way FileMaker works.

• 9. Re: List View Problem
                          BruceRobertson

The screen shots are very helpful. But something else is going on, it would be good to see the whole script or your file, to see why you are losing the sort order.

As previously mentioned, there is no such thing as sort by layout or sort by table.

What matters, in the end, is which fields you have selected - the fields on the right side of the sort dialog.

The left side is only a "picker" which lets you see which fields to pick from.

You can choose from the fields on the layout; or the fields in the table the layout is based on; or fields from another, related table. But there is no such thing as sort by layout or sort by table, and changing that view makes no difference.

EDIT: I see that dtcgnet finished his reply before I finished mine! But we're saying essentially the same thing.

• 10. Re: List View Problem
                            satcowitz

Thanks for everyone's help.

I just got it to work by having the script trigger to run OnRecordLoad rather than OnLayoutEnter.

But I'd love to know why this should matter.

• 11. Re: List View Problem
                              BruceRobertson

You don't mention what you are doing that changes the found set - as mentioned by dtcgnet.

If you are adding, omitting, finding, editing etc that would potentially be a reason why the sort should be re-triggered.