2 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 8:48 AM by DavidJondreau

Relating tables with drop downs from table view?

ryanmead83

Hi all,

Giving up on figuring this out on my own!  So we prefer to work in Table view since it looks like Excel.  This is a basic database, customers are one table, and opportunities are the other.  They are related with the ID_Customer field, so pretty straight forward.  All the customer table has is ID_Customer and Company_Name at the moment while learning this.  The opportunities table has ID_Opportunity, ID_Customer, Deal_Name, Amount etc.

What I want to be able to do is create an opportunity from table view, and then using a drop down under the Company field, select the company there.  I've tried setting ID_Customer on the Opportunity table to be a pop-up menu, then values from Customers table, first field is ID_Customer, second field is Company_Name and it is set to only show values from the second field.

The issue I have is that while it does seem like it works, as soon as you change the company that field locks as blank and clicking the drop down does nothing.  In the past I've had this working using forms, just not tables so not sure if it's a limitation of tables.  I just really would prefer to be able to modify any field from table view.  Company isn't a huge deal but it's just one example, there's other similar tables like Employees, Payments, etc where using dropdowns in table view would be needed.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Relating tables with drop downs from table view?
          jormond

In order to create a related record from the customer table, the id_customer field has to match what is in Customer::ID_Customer and Opportunities::ID_Customer.

You can either create the record through the relationship.

Or

Store the ID_Customer in a variable, create the record in Opportunities by going to a layout based on that table, create record, then set the ID_Customer field with the ID you stored earlier.

• 2. Re: Relating tables with drop downs from table view?
            DavidJondreau

Assuming Customers and Opportunities are related to each other by Customer ID and that "Allow creation..." is checked for the Opportunities side in the relationship, this should work.

I misread the question! What you described should work. Can you post screenshots of all the relevant windows (Browse view, layout view, value list definitions, relationship graph, open relationship dialog, etc)?