5 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2016 12:00 AM by erolst

Two tab portal issue

jfp-nyc

I am creating a form that has a portal with two tabs. The portal's first tab is based on a join table and I've added fields to the portal form from two  tables linked to the join table. This tab works as it should. I linked the second tab in the portal to another join table, but do not have the same results. Even though I have checked the boxes on the links to enable the creation of new records, new records can't be added. Are portals created from join tables, with fields from related tables included in the portal form? Any thoughts on how to make this work?

• 1. Re: Two tab portal issue
          Extensitech

I think we'll need more details, here.

First, you can't put a tab panel inside a portal, so may I assume you've got a tab panel with two tabs, each of which has a portal on it?

Your "join tables"... presumably one of the tables being joined is the table on which your layout is based? So why would you want to show "fields... from two tables..."?

Maybe some screen shots, or some details of the relationships involved, might help us help you?

HTH

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 2. Re: Two tab portal issue
            jfp-nyc

Thanks for responding. Your assumption is correct: I have a tab panel with two tabs, each with a portal. I think my issue is that I don't understand the role of join tables and may be using them incorrectly. I've attached three screen shots, including the relationships chart. Is that set up in a way that makes sense? In the Notes tab, I can't add new records or change fields on existing ones.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Jim

• 3. Re: Two tab portal issue
              erolst

jfp-nyc wrote:

I think my issue is that I don't understand the role of join tables and may be using them incorrectly.

Most of your join tables seem correct, so it isn't that bad …

I suggest you restructure your tables like so:

• remove the Notes_ID_FK from the CompanyFunds join table

• create a primary key in that join table (e.g. CompanyFund_PK)

(every table should have a primary key)

• create a CompanyFunds foreign key in Notes (e.g. CompanyFund_FK)

• change the relationship definition between JoinTable and Notes to

CompanyFund::CompanyFund_PK = Notes::CompanyFund_FK

and allow the Notes side to create records

Now you can create any number of notes for every join table record (but not from within the JoinTable portal on Company!)

Now you also don't need to store the Company or Fund ID in the Notes table; a note can find these “grandparents” simply by looking up the relationship chain, through the join table.

Have a look into the attached sample file; also see how you could use a single Notes table for all your Notes needs …

• 4. Re: Two tab portal issue
                jfp-nyc

Thanks for your suggestions, which I followed but encountered an error message (see screen shot). The message states that than ID number isn't valid, but it's set up to auto-enter the serial number. i'm attaching the file itself, if you're willing to take a look at it.  Really appreciate your help with this.

• 5. Re: Two tab portal issue
                  erolst

jfp-nyc wrote:

The message states that than ID number isn't valid, but it's set up to auto-enter the serial number.

… for new records.

You need to add unique values to the records that already existed when you added the key field.