7 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2016 6:08 AM by Extensitech

username and password

joluke2014

I am creating a simple login form that is different from the username and password that is built in in filemaker (to make many users available) then once the login is successful, it will only show data in the next form that is owned only by the user

example: username:joluke2014       password:12345

once successful ----->  will show only files that belongs to joluke2014

pls help me make this work....thank you in advance

• 1. Re: username and password
          Extensitech

What part of this do you think you cannot do with standard FM user accounts and privilege sets?

What do you mean by "to make many users available"? There is no (practical) limit to the number of users you can add to a file.

Once a user has an account and a privilege set, you can restrict the privilege set to only show records where the record belongs (has a field that matches?) get ( accountname). Without knowing why you want to do something different, it's hard to help create something else that's that "easy".

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 2. Re: username and password
            wimdecorte

Extensitech wrote:

What do you mean by "to make many users available"? There is no (practical) limit to the number of users you can add to a file.

And to reinforce Chris' message: if account management is problematic you can also use External Authentication to solve the issue without compromising security by trying to roll your own...

• 3. Re: username and password
              joluke2014

Thank you for the response. It sees that when i add users in the system

through the builtin accounts,  itbonly accepts up to 9 accounts only.  So i

thought of having a table instead that acts like an account handler.

• 4. Re: username and password
                Markus Schneider

You can have as much users as You like using FileMaker's built-in security (well, at least much mote than 9)!

You can create Your own user-registry with separate tables and scripting - there are reasons to do that (but not a limit of users..). And it's a lot of work.. You could also combine both methods (an own user-registry that generates FileMaker security) using scripts

• 5. Re: username and password
                  joluke2014

thank you very much....at least i have an idea now on how i will go about

the problem...God bless

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 2:29 PM, Markus Schneider <noreply@filemaker.com>

• 6. Re: username and password
                    wimdecorte

Markus Schneider wrote:

an own user-registry that generates FileMaker security) using scripts

That is generally a very bad idea; there have been long and heated threads on this forum and others about these kinds of 'ersatz security systems'.  To a fault they never turn out to be very secure.

Whenever you bypass the real FM security layer you typically put your solution and its data at risk.

• 7. Re: username and password
                      Extensitech

Wim,

I thoroughly agree with your assessment of "ersatz security systems". That may, in fact, be what the op means, in which case I thoroughly agree with your warning, too.

I read this, though, to be more like the description I gave in this thread: Can this be done...  , where the scripts are used to create and manage actual FM accounts, which are then used for native security.

Chris Cain

Extensitech