AnsweredAssumed Answered

Deciding if to buy Filemaker

Question asked by asdemcole on May 3, 2016
Latest reply on May 4, 2016 by asdemcole

Hello All and thank you in advance for your time.

I'm trying to decide if Filemaker will work for my needs, but after looking at most of the sales documentaiton I still have a few remaining questions.

I hope that one or more people here can claify these last remaining questions so that I can make a decision.

Here we go:

1. I will frequently use this product to export email fields only for mass emailing (when I say "mass" I'm really only speaking about a 400 to 500. Will FM give me the ability to easily export the email fields ONLY of a database to, say, excel from which I can just copy/paste into Outlook?

2. Does Filemaker have the ability to easily insert FULL DOCUMENTS (e.g. word, excel, pdf's, etc) into a FM database (not just a text pointer to where these files may be located?).

2A - If this can be done, is there a MB/GB limit to the size of the files I can insert?

2B - If this can be done, will FM somehow compress the files for easy transfer to another party (see question 3 below)

3. I will need to share one or more FM databases with my boss (who will also have a license) so that he can add/edit/delete database entries as needed. It's his idea that we simply email a particular database back and forth for this purpose.

3A - Is this a good workflow to use in order to give both of us the ability to add/edit/delete entries as and when needed?

3B - If this is not an efficient workflow, can someone suggest one that is for our needs in this regards?

4. Will FM give me the opportunity to copy/past various fields from one FM database to another?

5. I use a PC and my boss uses a MAC - will the FM databases created be ABSOLUTELY cross platform compatible (PC/MAC) without exception?

Again, thank you all for answering these few questions... truly appreciated!

Outcomes