3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2016 4:17 PM by chivalry

Send Mail Fails to Create New Message in Outlook

chivalry

I have the following script:

Set Variable [ $_file_path ; Value: "file:" & Get ( TemporaryPath ) & GetAsText ( AdArtwork::AdArtImage ) ]
      Export Field Contents [ AdArtwork::AdArtImage ; “$_file_path” ]
      Send Mail [ Send via E-mail Client ; With dialog: On ; To: InsertionOrders::Email ; Subject: InsertionOrders::Company & " Ad Proof - " & Projects::ProjectName ; “$_file_path” ]

This works perfectly on OS X 10.11.4, FileMaker 14.0.4 with Mail.app 9.3 as the default mail program. It also works for at least one user who has Outlook as their default mail program. Another user, however is complaining that, while the Outlook icon bounces in the dock, no new email is created.

In an attempt to duplicate the problem I installed Outlook and made it my default mail program. The behavior I see is slightly different, but similar. I don't get the bouncing dock icon, but rather Outlook is brought to the foreground, although like the reporting user, I do not get a new email created. I'm using Outlook 15.21.1.

Any ideas on what the problem might be? FileMaker's help page on `Send Mail` specifically mentions that Outlook is supported on OS X.

Thanks,
      Chuck

• 1. Re: Send Mail Fails to Create New Message in Outlook
          databuzz

Hi Chuck,

I'm using OS X 10.11.4, FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.5 and Outlook 15.21.1.

I just tested 2 scripts that were identical expect for the "Perform without dialog" setting:

1. With "Perform without dialog" checked when I ran the script I got his dialog on my screen:

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 8.24.04 AM.png

and when I clicked Send the email was sent immediately.

2. With "Perform without dialog" unchecked the email was created in the Drafts folder and opened on the screen for editing.

That's what I would expect - hope this helps.

regards,

Andrew

• 2. Re: Send Mail Fails to Create New Message in Outlook
            chivalry

Andrew,

I appreciate the testing, but I don't think it helps, although I'll check with the user to see if that dialog box appears when they bring the app to the foreground. The `Send Mail` script step has "Perform without dialog" unchecked, so I would expect the behavior you're seeing in your second description.

Perhaps the confusion is with how FileMaker displays the script step in the listing. It says "With dialog: On" above, which is another way of saying "Perform without dialog" is unchecked. That line should read:

Send Mail [ Send via E-mail Client ; To: InsertionOrders::Email ; Subject: InsertionOrders::Company & " Ad Proof - " & Projects::ProjectName ; “$_file_path” ]

Regardless, your second description is what I want to see, but am not.

Thanks,

Chuck

• 3. Re: Send Mail Fails to Create New Message in Outlook
              chivalry

Just checked with the client. The Outlook icon bounces but there is no dialog box present when it's brought to the foreground, which is strange in itself.