RichardHurley

2nd row of portal will not accept input

Discussion created by RichardHurley on May 5, 2016
Latest reply on May 6, 2016 by RichardHurley

Hello FileMakers,

My work in FileMaker is intermittent. I need to ramp up my skills to make a relational database for my business and am having a problem creating new records in a portal that displays a join table from inside a parent table. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachment 1: Early in the project, when I was young and my brain was fresh, I got exactly the functionality I wanted: The empty portal displayed correctly with an active first line, showing the portal ready for input. As the first line populates, a second line in the portal becomes ready for data entry with nice, inviting fields.

1) portal ready to enter.png

Attachment 2: While teaching myself a lot of other stuff, I  apparently bunged up the functionality of this portal, as you can see below. The first line populates correctly, but no fields appear in the second line (which does appear active, however). Clicking in the second line does nothing. Displaying the join table in a separate window shows the first line data appearing correctly, but no joy after that.

2) portal not ready.png

I have checked the parent-to-join-table relationship in both examples. The child is set to allow record creation in both cases. I have searched in vain for the discrepancy between the two layouts. I suspect the problem is pretty simple, but I'm damned if I can find it.

Help!

TIA

Richard Hurley

Grass Valley MultiMedia

late 2015 27-inch  iMac Retina 5K running OS X 10.11.4

FileMaker Pro 14.0.5

Outcomes