4 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2016 11:23 AM by siplus

ADDING RECORDS FROM DIFFERENT TABLES

tweneboah

Please i have four (4) tables namely:

....welfare payment table

....Tithe payment table

.....Youth dues payment table and

....members table.

please how can i add all the payments from tithe, welfare and youth dues payment table?

Please any help will be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: ADDING RECORDS FROM DIFFERENT TABLES
          siplus

A field in members, calc, (will be unstored ofc) defined as

TotalPayments = Sum(WelfarePayments::Amount) + Sum(TithePayments::Amount) + Sum(YouthDues::Amount) ?

BTW I usually put such things in a popover, you have to click on a "show total" button that displays it to see the field's content, otherwise you are slowing down the Members database unnecessarily.

• 2. Re: ADDING RECORDS FROM DIFFERENT TABLES
            erolst

siplus wrote:

A field in members, calc, defined as

TotalPayments = Sum(WelfarePayments::Amount) + Sum(TithePayments::Amount) + Sum(YouthDues::Amount) ?

That sounds like fun. Not.

How about using a single Payments table, and a field for category (Welfare, Tithe or YouthDue)?

With your current setup, you need to create a new table (but basically identical to the existing ones) whenever you introduce a new payment category, and must also modify the summing mechanism. With a single table, you add new category.

Anyway, siplus's suggestion works (of course).

tweneboah wrote:

ADDING RECORDS FROM DIFFERENT TABLES

Please don't use allcaps.

• 3. Re: ADDING RECORDS FROM DIFFERENT TABLES
              tweneboah

Good answers but how can i link the tables using ID'S

• 4. Re: ADDING RECORDS FROM DIFFERENT TABLES
                siplus

unfortunately, we don't know much about the existing data. The OP might have inherited an existing setup with thousands of clients and a superior order of magnitude regarding existing payments, or he might be developing right now the solution - in this case of course your advice is totally sound - nobody would create separate payment tables for cash, visa, mastercard, paypal etc. The all caps might hint into the latter