4 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2016 8:04 AM by Razor

Launch Center not Showing Files as Expected

Razor

I have the following set in the server admin;

Database Server -> Security -> List only the databases each user is authorized to access

With this setting turned on I was not seeing all the databases I expect to see in Launch Center in FileMaker Pro Advance.  From some experimenting it appears I needed to add the group [Data Entry Only] to the fmapp extended privileges.  (This is in addition to the default [Full Access]  which appears to be a default setting.)

I have three questions regarding what I learned today;

First, is this normal behavior?

Second,how does Launch Center in FMPA know what account you are using to browsing files?  I don’t remember ever signing in to FMPA. 

Is there some default login account I am using in FMPA that I don’t remember setting up?

By the way I am running FileMaker Server 14.0.4.413 and FileMaker Pro Advance 14.0.5. 

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Launch Center not Showing Files as Expected
          planteg

Hi Razor,

I checked with my developer copy of FMS12:

1. I checked "List only databases..."
          2. In FM Go selected my server

I was prompted to login. If you're not logged in, then the server can't display a list of databases. Tried the same from FMPA 14, same thing I was asked to login.

In FMPA 14, the login window is called "View Databases Hosted by FileMaker Server". Just below the Password field, there is a check box called "Save password in Credential Manager". I wonder if you checked it. If you are running on OS X, the name is "Save password in Keychain Access.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Launch Center not Showing Files as Expected
            dtcgnet

Were you using "Open", or "Open Remote"?

File>Open will show you files you've recently accessed. Could be local, could be hosted.

If the server has been set to show each user only files for which they have access, then it'll ask you to provide credentials when you use File>Open Remote. If a privilege set is NOT set for fmapp access, then anyone who provides credentials associated with that privilege set will not be shown that database.

For instance, if I use Admin, User1 as my credentials, then I will see all databases on that host for which there is an account that has access. If 1 database for which those credentials match has fmapp enabled, I will see it as an option, whereas if the next database for which those credentials match does NOT have fmapp enabled, I will not see that database.

I'd say that what you're seeing is normal, and I'd say you were using Open instead of Open Remote. HTH.

• 3. Re: Launch Center not Showing Files as Expected
              Mike_Mitchell

Razor wrote:

With this setting turned on I was not seeing all the databases I expect to see in Launch Center in FileMaker Pro Advance. From some experimenting it appears I needed to add the group [Data Entry Only] to the fmapp extended privileges.

Yes. Any privilege set to be accessed on the server via a FileMaker client needs this extended privilege enabled.

This is in addition to the default [Full Access] which appears to be a default setting.

Sort of. When you host a file using Server, if there is no privilege set that does not have the fmapp extended privilege enabled, then Server will automatically add that privilege to the [Full Access] priv set. (So if you set it on a lower priv set, you can actually prevent [Full Access] accounts from logging in. Or accidentally lock them out.)  

First, is this normal behavior?

Yes.

Second,how does Launch Center in FMPA know what account you are using to browsing files? I don’t remember ever signing in to FMPA.

planteg has already answered this.

Is there some default login account I am using in FMPA that I don’t remember setting up?

Most likely, it's one of two things:

1) As planteg mentioned, it could be a Keychain / Credential Manager thing.

2) The Admin account is set to auto-open by default. If you didn't disable this before hosting it, then this would be the account used. (Hint: Change this. Both the auto-enter and the "Admin" account name are security risks.)   

HTH

Mike

• 4. Re: Launch Center not Showing Files as Expected
                Razor

planted you are right.  I must have at one time checked save password.  I've learned the error of my ways and wanted to remove that.  It appears the only way to remove the automatic login is by going in to Keychain Manager and deleting the keychain records there.  Seems like there should be something in the FMPA interface but I wasn't able to find it.  No matter, problem now fixed.

dtcgnet I was using open remote, but as I mentioned I didn't realize I had that keychain record login me in automatically.  Thanks for the help.

Mike, thanks for the additional answers.  I now have a better idea of how account authorization works and what is going on behind the scenes.