3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2016 2:23 AM by erolst

Invoice Starter Solution - Help Needed

PaulCarroll

Hi Folks,

I have been playing around with the above for a couple of weeks now and have managed to create working solutions for 2 of my 3 businesses.

I am in the middle of setting up a version of this for the third business and have hit a bit of a wall with a particular requirement.

Without making this too long winded, the problem is I have a major client who we supply staff to on an ad-hoc basis. These staff may be deployed across any number of different projects at any number of different locations in any one day / week. As a result, when invoicing each week for work carried out, we submit a breakdown of all work (shifts) carried out by our staff along with the invoice itself. Each project carries a separate invoice per week and on some occasions this may be broken down still further to separate locations.

So to my wall and what i am trying to achieve.

I need to adapt the invoice solution to accommodate the above requirement. I started out with an idea to combine the invoice solution with the timesheet solution, effectively creating a dovetailed timesheet and invoice system - but felt this may be over complicating the process. What I have decided (unless someone wiser than I can suggest a better way) is to enter all required information into the invoice portal with the additional fields required (date / name / location /start time / finish time / hours / expenses / mileage allowance) and then create a separate template to "Print Invoice" that returns a report of all information entered. I would then set up the Print Invoice layout to generate the invoice as a separate document.

My problem with this is that a report on this basis could generate well in excess of 100 rows for any location and I need to differentiate between days of the week to make it easier to reference.

I have considered using conditional formatting to highlight alternate dates (Monday = No fill / Tuesday = Yellow Fill / Wednesday = No fill etc) but would prefer to separate each day of the week a little clearer. I thought about creating 7 portals in the invoice layout - one for each day - and having these individual portals mirrored in the timesheet report but wondered if any one could suggest a more streamlined solution to achieve the same result.

Apologies for the length of this post but wanted to provide as much info as possible on what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks in advance

Paul.

• 1. Re: Invoice Starter Solution - Help Needed
          erolst

You could

• create a calc field as DayNumber ( date )

• add a sub-summary part with this field as break field (sorted by)

• sort by date

Put the date field itself with any desired formatting, plus any summary fields you need, into the sub-summary part as your group header / summary.

Note that depending on your (or the client's) requirements, you could forego the body part and only show the sub-summary part, i.e. a day and its values.

All of this is assuming that your report is a layout based on the timesheet table …

PaulCarroll wrote:

I thought about creating 7 portals in the invoice layout - one for each day - and having these individual portals mirrored in the timesheet report but wondered if any one could suggest a more streamlined solution to achieve the same result.

Don't use portals as basis for your reports; the best solution is almost always a list layout based on the table that has the highest granularity, i.e. that stores the most “atomic” events you want to list / summarize.

• 2. Re: Invoice Starter Solution - Help Needed
            PaulCarroll

Hi erolst

I think I follow what you are saying and that makes sense.

In this instance, would I remove the portal from the invoice template in starter solution and replace with data entered in a table format?

The layout at present is based entirely on the invoicing starter solution - I felt the combining of 2 solutions was over complicating the process so elected to build from one solution only.

the Invoice layout includes a portal that references "Invoice Data" table - should I do away with this and replace with a table layout?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Invoice Starter Solution - Help Needed
              erolst

Distinguish between layouts for user interface and for output.

Portals are great for data entry and editing – just not flexible enough for printing where the number of records on display (e.g. invoice lines) is not known in advance.

So you should have two distinct layouts, doing different things, using different tools.