AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using different layouts of the same record

Question asked by BenECAFM on May 10, 2016
Latest reply on May 10, 2016 by erolst

I'm developing from the Projects starter solution. In my business, we have a number of distinct types of project, such as Visa Applications, University Applications, Housing Search, Business plans, Internal Projects...

Each involves a specific set of data. For example, if we're doing a visa application, we need to know the client's visa history; If we're doing a property search, we need to know their requirements etc etc.

I've added a field for 'Project Category' so that I can see the category in list view, and will presumably be able to filter and find from that field. What I want is to create a different layout for each project category, probably by adding a Tab control to the project details layout, with a couple of tabs for each layout type with the relevant fields.

My questions are:

1. How can I make a new record request demand a choosing of project type?

2. How can I make the project always open with the right layout?

3. I also want an easy way on each project of 'attaching' it to a client. So that the project layout shows it as attached to that client, and so I will be able to put a portal to all open and previous projects on the client's record. Similar to adding a resource to a task, but at the project level, and showing the client somehow separately to the resources working on the project.

Yes, I'm a bit new to FM. These may be either simple questions, or I may be going about it in completely the wrong way, so I'm very open to suggestions.

Thank you folks

Outcomes