12 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2016 10:14 PM by schamblee

What is the "For User Connections" version of Filemaker 15 Pro?

FMHarv

Can't find any documentation on this.  Is this a version that will only connect to FM server with the same Key?

• 1. Re: What is the "For User Connections" version of Filemaker 15 Pro?
          steveromig

Can't find any documentation on this. Is this a version that will only connect to FM server with the same Key?

See here for more information...

https://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15937/

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: What is the "For User Connections" version of Filemaker 15 Pro?
            FMHarv

So, the regular version is for individuals and businesses with concurrent connections? The "User Connection" version is for accounts that have switched over to Filemaker Teams?

• 3. Re: What is the "For User Connections" version of Filemaker 15 Pro?
              steveromig

So, the regular version is for individuals and businesses with concurrent connections? The "User Connection"

version is for accounts that have switched over to Filemaker Teams?

Short answer, yes.

Slightly more detailed answer.  If you license FileMaker Server with FLT it comes with a download link for FileMaker Pro for User Connections.  You cannot get FileMaker Pro for User Connections without FileMaker Server and it would not make a lot of sense if you could.

However, just because you are using FLT does not mean you have to only use FileMaker Pro for User Connections.  For example, you can use FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced (which does not have a User Connections version), or an older compatible version of FileMaker Pro.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: What is the "For User Connections" version of Filemaker 15 Pro?
                FMHarv

That makes sense.  One more question, What happens if a user is logged in with their desktop and they try to log in with another device? Are they able to connect and disconnect their desktop or will they be denied?

• 5. Re: What is the "For User Connections" version of Filemaker 15 Pro?
                  wimdecorte

I would imagine that it will just eat up another connection.  I don't think it will give you the option to disconnect the other connection,

• 6. Re: What is the "For User Connections" version of Filemaker 15 Pro?
                    steveromig

I would imagine that it will just eat up another connection. I don't think it will give you the option to disconnect the other connection,

Thanks Wim.

Correct on both counts / comments.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: What is the "For User Connections" version of Filemaker 15 Pro?
                      dtcgnet

If the user is logged in with FileMaker Pro (or Advanced) on their desktop, I would imagine it would NOT eat up another connection, whereas if the user is logged in with FileMaker Pro (for User Connections), it WOULD eat up another connection.

Correct?

• 8. Re: What is the "For User Connections" version of Filemaker 15 Pro?
                        jwmickelson

If you are using the new Teams licensing, the Server will deduct a User license form the pool when "FileMaker Pro (for User Connections)" connects to it, or when FMGO or Web Direct connects to it as well.  That same user connecting through all three methods (which sounds like is a direct violation of the License terms) would use up 3 of those User connections on the server.

If you login to that same server with a locally licensed regular copy of Pro or Advanced, the Server does not deduct one of the User Connections. Thus, if you used an already licensed regular Pro, and also connected via FMGO and Web Direct, that user would be taking up 2 of the server's Team User Connections.

Hope that helps,

Jonathan

• 9. Re: What is the "For User Connections" version of Filemaker 15 Pro?
                          mardikennedy

Definitely the elephant in the room.  Summary:  FMP v15 is compatible with FMS 15/ 14/ 13.09 (http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/pro-15-specifications.html) whereas FMP v15 for Teams is only compatible with FMS 15, not 14 or 13.09 (http://www.filemaker.com/purchase/store/faq-teams.html)

Initially, superficially, the new 'Teams' licensing sounded so sensible and saleable, however the devil is in the detail.  I'm getting ever more baffled by the difference between a pre-15 'connection' (a pool of potential users but a maximum at any one time), and the new kind of connection that somehow isn't a connection which allows you to use whichever device is handiest at the time and yet it is different to connections capped by the maximum number of connections at any one time.  And if that doesn't quite make sense, it's because it doesn't.

Am I ready for multiple versions of FMP (as well as the other items in the product range)?  Sigh.

Added to the extraordinarily harsh effects on both hosting companies and niche small businesses (that Commercial Hosts thread).

• 10. Re: What is the "For User Connections" version of Filemaker 15 Pro?
                            jwmickelson

Mardi,

To clarify (and hopefully be correct, someone let me know if not), as I agree that things got a lot more complicated rather than simplified):

1) Pre-15 Connections were "Concurrent connections".  They worked with FMGo and Web Direct Connections on FileMaker Server 14 and lower.  Any connection via either FMGo or Web direct used one of these connections.  The License terms (read legalese) functionally allowed these connections to be concurrent connections from any number of one, or more, known or anonymous users.

2) FM15 For Teams "User Connections".  They work with FMGo, Web Direct connections, as well as a new possibility. There is now a new version of FileMaker Pro, unflatteringly named "FileMaker Pro (for User Connections)" -- Why it wasn't renamed named FileMaker Pro for Teams or something else is utterly mind-boggling -- this new FileMaker client doesn't need a License Key to install.  It connects to FileMaker Server for Teams and will take a connection license from the pool managed on the server.

If it all ended here, that would be easier to sell and manage.. But there is an unfortunate wrinkle:  FileMaker for Teams connections (according to FMI's descriptions of what the legalese probably enforces) cannot be treated like concurrent connections.  They are requiring that license be purchased for every unique/possible User who will use these FileMaker Teams user connections. Anonymous Users are basically prohibited.  This sounds fine, at first blush, and in many small businesses it may be ok.

The Problem

The problem as I see it, is what's being counted and what's actually limited.  What's managed on the server are active (you could call them concurrent) connections from users of any of the three Client Types.  Since you cannot legally allow non-known (individually licensed) Users to use these seats, I believe you CANNOT allow any, no matter how infrequent, anonymous users to use FileMaker in ANY form.

Thus, if someone uses For Teams licensing, any Web Direct usage via someone from another department, division or the public web, must be taken completely off the table FOREVER or FMI legal can go after the customer for violating their license.

Compounding this is the fact that For Teams and Legacy Concurrent Licenses cannot co exist.  If a Customer initially opts for For Teams, and then realizes they want to put up a Web Form for occasional clients to fill in a work request, or something, they cannot do it, and will not ever be able to do it.  They must use Custom Web Publishing or some other method.

I'm happy to be shown that this understanding is wrong, but I don't think it is.

It Didn't Have to be this Way

This all would have been avoided if For Teams licenses were still allowed to be treated like concurrent licenses. At first I though it was to protect FMI's install base, but that doesn't hold water, and the prices don't bear that out.

Unfortunately, if a developer HOPES to start small and then grow a small client's use use of FileMaker's awesome web features over time, ie. Adding We Direct usage later, then you basically either must forgo Web Direct or "For Teams" licensing, if you think there's even a remote possibility that someone (say an outside vendor, client or customer of theirs) may need to use Web Direct.

Personally, I think FMI is unnecessarily crippling the awesomeness of Web Direct as well as it's adoption or industry exposure with this very unfortunate Licensing restriction on "For Teams".  Dominique has stated that they wanted to simplify licensing.  In My Opinion this is not the way... or perhaps more accurately, it's ALMOST the way, if Team Licenses could be treated as the Concurrent licenses they truly are.

Best regards,

Jonathan

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: What is the "For User Connections" version of Filemaker 15 Pro?
                              mardikennedy

Jonathan,

The clarity of your explanation is much appreciated and I too hope that you are wrong. (I mean that in the nicest possible way of course.)

Agreed, For Teams initially sounded like a great idea - it was like an Apple product - perhaps a little more expensive but elegant, efficient and really cutting down on the cognitive clutter of previous schemes.

Instead, we have yet another logically elusive plan.  It makes perfect sense to me that FMI would like its customer base to transition to server environments, so that in future, the flagship product is very much at home in a web-based world.  They could then, more easily, push out updates in the same manner as iOS or Spotify* or whatever.  Not just annually but more on an 'as needed' basis.  Thus, the very advance warning that in another three years, that there will be a steep price increase on 'old technology' comes across as part of a coherent plan.

As you say, the wrinkle is in this very strange schism between the For Teams approach, and the current Connections thingie.  It's a pity - like others, I had been really impressed by the possibilities of WD but the marketing 'strategy' around it has been so perverse in the last couple of years that I simply don't bother promoting it to clients - too many excuses and caveats to explain.

On the upside, at least there's plenty of space for improved approaches.

*there are a couple of good youtubes on the Spotify strategy

All the best,

Mardi

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: What is the "For User Connections" version of Filemaker 15 Pro?
                                schamblee

Teams can connect to their database with web direct just as they do with FMGo or FMP.  You can't use webdirect or any of the connection methods for anonymous users.    For Example you could connect your Android device with your browser to webdirect, Apple device with FMGo, and your computer with FMP.  You could connect from your browse with any device / computer but there really isn't a point in doing so.