1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2016 5:42 PM by beverly

FM15 ESS

beverly

OK, there have been questions and I haven't see enough answers, so I hunted down a few!

The "Actual Technologies Adapter" referenced in:

What external SQL data sources are certified for FileMaker 15?

MS SQL Server 2008 R2

MS SQL Server 2012

MS SQL Server 2012 SP1

MySQL 5.6 Community Edition (free)

Oracle 12c R1

Oracle 11g R2

IBM i 7.1 (AS/400) (via Actual Technologies Adapter)

IBM DB2 10.5 (via Actual Technologies Adapter)

PostgreSQL 9.4.4 (via Actual Technologies Adapter)

... lead me to the Actual site:

*http://www.actualtech.com/products.php

While primarily Actual Tech has filled in the Mac user's drivers to SQL (& others), this new one, Actual ESS Adapter says:

The Actual ESS Adapter lets you use Postgres and DB2 databases with the "External SQL Sources" (ESS) feature of FileMaker 15. The adapter is available on Mac OS X and Windows. On OS X, it works in conjunction with the Actual Open Source Databases driver to connect to Postgres. On Windows, it integrates with native ODBC drivers for Postgres and IBM DB2.

read that again: OS X and Windows (but read the entire parag. carefully!)

beverly

• 1. Re: FM15 ESS
          Mike Duncan

From the Actual Tech online store, it looks like this is now available for purchase if you need it. Also, this bit:

use Postgres and DB2 databases with FileMaker ESS. License only required for Windows. License is not required for Mac OS X.

So in this case you only pay for the windows version, it appears.

• 2. Re: FM15 ESS
            taylorsharpe

Most interesting... the license for the ESS Adapter for IBM/PostgresSQL databases is free for Mac and costs $299.95 for the server edition for Windows. 

Well, I just upgraded my Mac... but I only have MySQL and SQL Server ODBC connections and those are working fine with the current version and FMS 15. 

• 3. Re: FM15 ESS
              beverly

possibly because of the "works in conjunction with..." If a Mac user has to purchase the driver for "Actual Open Source Databases" the "ESS Adapter" is included for free? Windows users would need to purchase the Adapter?

more research and perhaps at some point words from jon

beverly

• 4. Re: FM15 ESS
                taylorsharpe

Yes, Beverly, that makes sense.  I was always frustrated having to pay for Actual Technologies drivers when most of the Windows ones were free.  I guess it still is cheaper on Windows, but not as much if you need IBM/PostgresSQL.  It is also interesting that on server you spend almost as much money on the ODBC driver on a Mac as you do on FMS for a year.  Oh well... it is what it is. 

• 5. Re: FM15 ESS
                  user19752

Thanks

• 6. Re: FM15 ESS
                    actualjon

We already charge for the Actual Open Source Databases driver (for Postgres access), so we don't charge again for the ESS Adapter.  On Windows, we support the (free) open source Postgres driver, so we charge for the ESS Adapter license.  I realize the asymmetrical licensing is confusing, but it is a result of trying hard to price our products fairly.

We put a *tremendous* amount of work into the ESS Adapter (not just for Postgres, but also for DB2 and AS/400).  We're excited that it has finally seen the light of day, and we're looking forward to seeing what developers will do with it.

Jonathan Monroe

Actual Technologies - ODBC for Mac OS X

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: FM15 ESS
                      beverly

Thanks, Jonathan!

beverly

• 8. Re: FM15 ESS
                        wimdecorte

actualjon wrote:

We already charge for the Actual Open Source Databases driver (for Postgres access), so we don't charge again for the ESS Adapter. On Windows, we support the (free) open source Postgres driver, so we charge for the ESS Adapter license. I realize the asymmetrical licensing is confusing, but it is a result of trying hard to price our products fairly.

We put a *tremendous* amount of work into the ESS Adapter (not just for Postgres, but also for DB2 and AS/400). We're excited that it has finally seen the light of day, and we're looking forward to seeing what developers will do with it.

Jonathan Monroe

Actual Technologies - ODBC for Mac OS X

Thanks, Jonathan!

Looking forward to using it.

• 9. Re: FM15 ESS
                          beverly

I can't test, but I wonder if standard drivers still support the Import & Execute SQL script steps? sure, not ESS (live connection), but it was a connection before ESS and still works. YMMV

beverly

• 10. Re: FM15 ESS
                            taylorsharpe

Thanks for clarification and that makes since, Jonathan. 

• 11. Re: FM15 ESS
                              user19752

I tested import works with standard pgSQL driver, same as older versions (of course).

FMI made some "built-in adapter" for mySQL (and ms,oracle) themselves to work for ESS, but don't for pgSQL.

It is not exciting news for me that "new version added support for more databases, but need to purchase third party product".

• 12. Re: FM15 ESS
                                taylorsharpe

user19752 wrote:

I tested import works with standard pgSQL driver, same as older versions (of course).

FMI made some "built-in adapter" for mySQL (and ms,oracle) themselves to work for ESS, but don't for pgSQL.

It is not exciting news for me that "new version added support for more databases, but need to purchase third party product".

Well, it is an improvement in that it is available. There just is an additional cost to it.  This is a little bit like making arguments about which functions fulfilled by plugins should become part of FileMaker instead of an optional tool.  I personally think that OS interactivity like drivers (e.g., print, PDF, ODBC, JDBC) should all be handled by FileMaker.  Some are and so are not.  FileMaker provides the ODBC driver for others to see FileMaker, but the other way around sure varies a lot. 

To a degree I feel your frustration.  But I prefer the frustration over not having a choice at all. 

• 13. Re: FM15 ESS
                                  LSNOVER

I have worked with Jonathan and Actual for many years.  I can tell you he takes great pride in his work, and has excellent support.  Most of us that are heavy users of SQL dbs with Filemaker use it with FM server, and Actual's price for a server license is very reasonable.  If you know how to use Perform Script on Server and ESS, there's no need to have drivers installed on individual machines. 

Actual's efforts here are the primary reason we can now have some additional databases to access within Filemaker.  It is through some clever redirection and cooperation with FMI.  For those of us who use the ESS feature, having this support will hopefully drive a little more attention to the ESS feature set and some of it's limitations in future releases of Filemaker.

These tools and additions take time and money to develop.  So lets give folks like Jonathan our support and encourage FMI to bring the ESS feature set and performance up to snuff.  I continue to believe that the combination of ESS and WebDirect makes for one of the most flexible Web application development tools on the market.  ESS inside of Filemaker needs a little more work, but even in it's current form, we have used these tools to do some very impressive work that is serving our clients day in and day out. 

Cheers!
                                  Lee Snover

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: FM15 ESS
                                    wimdecorte

Well said, Lee.

1 2 Previous Next