6 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2016 1:29 PM by nickel

FMP15 and App Extensions...how?

nickel

In FMP15, now that it boast App Extensions, is there a way to Save a pdf to icloud or similar? I cant seem to find any documentation relating to the new feature.

• 1. Re: FMP15 and App Extensions...how?
          steveromig

In FMP15, now that it boast App Extensions, is there a way to Save a pdf to icloud or similar? I cant seem to find any documentation relating to the new feature.

First of all keep in mind that support for App Extensions only applies to FileMaker Go.

You can save a PDF to "iCloud or similar" but for the most part it is a manual process.  Scripting is not allowed on iOS outside an application's "sandbox", and that includes FileMaker Go as well.

The manual process looks something like this...

1. With a database open, tap on the "action" menu (the menu in the upper left hand corner
          2. Tap Save / Send As
          3. Tap Database
          4. Tap Continue
          5. Tap Select Destination (if necessary)
          6. Tap Send To...
          7. At this point you can choose what "service" you want to send to.  Each person's device might be different depending on the apps that are installed on his / her device.  If you tap Locations you will see the available places where the PDF file can be saved to

You can also save things out of container fields in much the same way.  The "container menu" now has a Location option that you can choose for adding things to container fields as well as exporting out of container fields.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP15 and App Extensions...how?
            nickel

thanks for the real quick reply Steve! appreciated!

I was hoping to be able to basically, rather than email a pdf to someone, just save it on icloud, a bit like a backup repository, but looks like I wont be able to. I need it to be scripted, basically the same as if it were emailing the PDF but instead it just needs to store it, guessing no way to do this is there then?

• 3. Re: FMP15 and App Extensions...how?
              steveromig

thanks for the real quick reply Steve! appreciated!

I was hoping to be able to basically, rather than email a pdf to someone, just save it on icloud, a bit like a backup repository, but looks like I wont be able to. I need it to be scripted, basically the same as if it were emailing the PDF but instead it just needs to store it, guessing no way to do this is there then?

You can do what you are looking for very easily on the Desktop side of things without needing an App Extension.  Simply save the PDF to the "local" folder of the service you wish to save to.

In the case of a service like DropBox, simply save the PDF into the local DropBox folder on your Windows or Mac OS machine.  A script can easily do that for you on the Desktop.  You can do something similar with iCloud but the "local iCloud" drive is hidden.  Do a Google search for the location of where the "hidden" folder is on either Mac or Windows and you can save the PDF file to that location as well using a script.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMP15 and App Extensions...how?
                nickel

Sorry, should have been clearer, this is on Filemaker Go, so I have people out in the field, they fill in a form and then currently it emails it to an inbox for safe keeping, ideally wanted to try and save it to dropbox or icloud or whatever...

• 5. Re: FMP15 and App Extensions...how?
                  steveromig

Sorry, should have been clearer, this is on Filemaker Go, so I have people out in the field, they fill in a form and then currently it emails it to an inbox for safe keeping, ideally wanted to try and save it to dropbox or icloud or whatever...

In that case you are limited as to what you can do from a scripting / automated perspective.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMP15 and App Extensions...how?
                    nickel

no problem! appreciate the responses