13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2016 5:16 AM by schamblee

FM GO 15 Share vs Action Extensions

JaredHague

So there are two type of app extensions.  Share and Action. 

I am quite pumped to have the ability to use iCloud or Drop box etc to send files and more from FM Go.  Like when you go into a container field and tap view.  It brings up the preview and you can tap the corner to get the share sheet to show up.  Now not everyone knows this but the difference in the two rows are Share on the top row and Actions on the bottom row.  So if you had something and you wanted to send to another app you find it in the top row and there you go.  The second row are action extensions.  This is when you don't leave the app.  You do something to the file in the host app and the interface is just temporarily available.

I was thinking this would be great for container fields.  So say you have a text doc or pdf you use an action extension to make some changes and it saves back to the container.  Problem is.... It doesn't!!!

Has anybody got an Action Extension to work? I tried it with Skitch.  I took a picture and viewed it.  Then taped the share button and chose Skitch.  The editing tools appeared and let me mark up the image but after I was done it doesn't save it back to the container.  Really lame to not have this feature working.  Perhaps I am missing something? 

• 1. Re: FM GO 15 Share vs Action Extensions
          rgordon

Unfortunately it look like you are sending a copy of the file to another app. Then when you are finished editing the file, you need to send the file to your cloud drive and reinsert it into the container field. I had high hopes like you that this would place the edited file back into the container field. Maybe this will come in FMGO 16.

• 2. Re: FM GO 15 Share vs Action Extensions
            JaredHague

Yes I have made the road trip using the share extension.  A lot of tapping.  When they say it supports extensions I am wondering are they only going half way or is there a way of doing this using action extensions.

• 3. Re: FM GO 15 Share vs Action Extensions
              steveromig

So there are two type of app extensions. Share and Action.

I am quite pumped to have the ability to use iCloud or Drop box etc to send files and more from FM Go. Like when you go into a container field and tap view. It brings up the preview and you can tap the corner to get the share sheet to show up. Now not everyone knows this but the difference in the two rows are Share on the top row and Actions on the bottom row. So if you had something and you wanted to send to another app you find it in the top row and there you go. The second row are action extensions. This is when you don't leave the app. You do something to the file in the host app and the interface is just temporarily available.

I was thinking this would be great for container fields. So say you have a text doc or pdf you use an action extension to make some changes and it saves back to the container. Problem is.... It doesn't!!!

Has anybody got an Action Extension to work? I tried it with Skitch. I took a picture and viewed it. Then taped the share button and chose Skitch. The editing tools appeared and let me mark up the image but after I was done it doesn't save it back to the container. Really lame to not have this feature working. Perhaps I am missing something?

What you are trying to do is more a limitation of iOS and the inter-connectivity between iOS apps than it is an issue with FileMaker Go specifically.  I know many had high hopes for an automated round trip when exchanging data with FileMaker Go and application "X" but due to the nature of iOS that isn't possible from an automation standpoint.

Reason is that once you pass off data from FileMaker Go to application "X", application "X" has a) no concept of FileMaker Go and more specifically records in your FileMaker Go solution and container fields in that solution and b) really no idea where the content came from to begin with.  On top of that, once you leave the "sandbox" of FileMaker Go you are on your own.  That means the scripting capabilities of FileMaker Go being and end within the "sandbox" of FileMaker Go.

iOS would need to support some type of global scripting capabilities to be able to do an automated round trip of data exchange between two apps OR application "X" would need to become more FileMaker Go aware (if even that would work)

With all that said, the App Extension capability of FileMaker Go works great where a one way transfer of data is acceptable - like in the case of specific printing iOS applications.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: FM GO 15 Share vs Action Extensions
                rgordon

I'll use the app extension to zip large files I want to email. With the extension I can send a copy of the file to Izip which will zip the file and then email it from Izip. Hoping somewhere down the road that FileMaker Go learns how to unzip a FileMaker zipped file. Currently I can send the zip to FMGO but it doesn't know what to do with it.

• 5. Re: FM GO 15 Share vs Action Extensions
                  JaredHague

Thanks for the reply Steve

Thought the whole point of action extensions were so you don't leave the sandbox at all.  When I use Skitch it just alters the selected file and returns it in place.

Also Im not using any scripts.  I have used app URLs before to make round trips to other iOS apps before but its not a very good user experience.  Are not extensions the proper way to do this? The fact that the share extension is there is wonderful and does allow you to move data out of go and into other apps and back fine.  This is a huge improvement.  Believe me I am not lost at how good it is to have this feature.

In the case of preforming an action extension the host app ( in this case FM GO) just calls the extension and hands it some data to do something and then after its done the extension returns the data.  It is able to perform the action but FM GO isn't handling the returned data.  I expected It  would be just replacing the file that is being sent.  This isn't a limitation of iOS at all.  Sandboxing doesn't come into play here at all because extensions are not apps them selfs.

App Extension Programming Guide: Understand How an App Extension Works

All I'm saying is this should be possible I just don't know if there is another app extension that is capable of doing this or if its a FM GO limitation or bug.  I have only tried to use the one extension and it let me edit the container file within FM GO just doesn't update the original file.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: FM GO 15 Share vs Action Extensions
                    rgordon

Not sure if this applies but you can open a photo in Photos and have an extension edit the photo and the photo changes are saved in Photos. Maybe it works because it is an Apple app.

Roy Gordon

PSFE

Sent from my iPhone

• 7. Re: FM GO 15 Share vs Action Extensions
                      steveromig

Not sure if this applies but you can open a photo in Photos and have an extension edit the photo and the photo changes are saved in Photos. Maybe it works because it is an Apple app.

Roy Gordon

PSFE

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah...maybe.

I won't pretend to understand how any of this stuff works behind the scenes.  I do suspect that FileMaker Go would be a little more complicated than most iOS apps to deal with simply due to it's open-endedness.  But again, I am not an expert.

The round trip for a Photo is a little easier for me to wrap my brain around as a) the Photos app is a central place for photos and b) the app you are sending the photo to is likely aware of the Photos app and therefore would know what to do with it once you tap "Save"

But in the end, it is magic to me.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FM GO 15 Share vs Action Extensions
                        JaredHague

Hey rgordon

What app are you using to do this might be worth a try.  Photos its a bit different because its got its own extension category but I would like to see.  It is notable that the extension I am using Skitch doesn't save the photo back.  So maybe its not a problem with FM GO.  My optimism is lifting.

• 9. Re: FM GO 15 Share vs Action Extensions
                          rgordon

Pixelmator is the app I used to edit pictures. I think the key is to go to edit first then tap the circle with the three dots to open the extension.

Roy Gordon

PSFE

Sent from my iPhone

• 10. Re: FM GO 15 Share vs Action Extensions
                            JaredHague

So I have found a little bit of a workaround for this.  Open the container file then use the app extension to edit it.  Then within the app extension use its share sheet and tap the copy button.  It dismisses the extension then you can tap and hold in the container to get the edit menu.  Paste and your all set.  Its not particularly smooth but it does the job.

• 11. Re: FM GO 15 Share vs Action Extensions
                              rgordon

Excellent. It might not be perfect but it is much better than sending the file to a share drive.

Roy Gordon

PSFE

Sent from my iPhone

• 12. Re: FM GO 15 Share vs Action Extensions
                                listen2earth

Apples Filemaker GO- Needs To Get GOING

Dear Tim Cook CEO of Apple Inc,

Apple needs to get their heads out of Californias dried out dirt and realize they can easily evolve dried out Filemaker Go to be the Doctor Center for the ultimate organization of everything on iOS devices..

Simply by evolving the iOS TAP SELECT POPUP MENU which currently provides:

-CUT

-COPY

-PASTE

-REPLACE

-BIU

-DEFINE

-SPEAK (AT&T High Quality Voice)

Which should contain many more BASIC fundamental text editing features for iOS menus such as:

-ucLc  (Upper Case Lower Case)

-AddCopy (Add's multiple Copy's to the clipboard without deleting previous clip).

AddCopy would save tons of work and provide the APEX interactive connection between ALL iOS Applications!!! And better yet have:

-AddCopyGO ( in which the iOS would simply copy the selection(s) and within that process it also exports the content of the clipboard into any chosen field within Filemaker GO APEX

Thank You Much For

Your Time Energy

iAppreciate All Your..

..Productive Healing Earth Endeavors"

"Once A Soldier Always A Soldier"

United States American War Veteran

From&For "America's Heart Land Peace"

Jesus Mourning Sun

alias Robert Lewis

• 13. Re: FM GO 15 Share vs Action Extensions
                                  schamblee

The best place for product ideas is : Product Ideas   Then when you see related posts add a link to the product idea so users can vote for it.   The more votes an idea has the better chance FMI will listen.