5 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2016 10:26 AM by TSGal

Web viewer state doesn't persist when changing layouts

ltwimberly

Product and version Filemaker Go 15.0.1

OS and version iOS 9.3.1

Hardware iPad Pro

Description

I have web viewers on several layouts that all point to the same URL. It's a website you must login to use. In all versions of Filemaker Pro including v15, and in all previous versions of Filemaker Go, once I log in I can change Filemaker layouts and remain logged into the site. When I open that web viewer on any layout  (this web viewer is contained in a popup on all my layouts) I am still logged in.

In Filemaker Go v15.0.1, I can log into the site, but if I go to a different layout, when I open the web viewer I'm back at the login page for the site. This is the case even if I return to the original layout and web viewer I used to login.

This may have something to do with cookie management.

How to replicate

Create a web viewer and point it at a site that requires a login. Put a copy of the viewer on a separate Filemaker layout. In Filemaker Go v15, login to the site on the web viewer on the first layout. Change to the second layout and you will no longer be logged into the site.

If you follow the above steps in Filemaker Pro or in older versions of Filemaker Go, you will remain logged into the site on the second layout.

• 1. Re: Web viewer state doesn't persist when changing layouts
          ltwimberly

To update the above, I followed my own instructions to replicate the problem. Facebook and Gmail both worked as I would expect them to, even in FM Go v15. If I logged in on one layout, I remained logged in on the second layout.

The site that doesn't work right in my old solution is doing the same thing in this brand new solution created in Filemaker Pro v15. When I change layouts I don't remain logged in.

The problem site is a McKesson web portal for viewing patient information. As stated above, once I am logged in I remain logged in after switching layouts on FM Pro v15 and on FM Go v14. The problem is only in FM Go v15.

The McKesson site appears to use 5 cookies to preserve user state. 4 of them are in the root path and one is in a subpath called /portal.

Maybe the problem lies in that specific subpath for cookie storage? Facebook appears to store all its cookies in the root path. Gmail seems to save most in the root path but a few in a subpath. It's possible that the Gmail cookies in the subpath do something that would be broken if I tested it in the Filemaker web viewer, but at first glance Gmail appears to work fine and preserve state in Filemaker Go v15.

Thanks again.

• 2. Re: Web viewer state doesn't persist when changing layouts
            TSGal

ltwimberly:

Thank you for your post.

I have forwarded your information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

I suspect Development/Testing will want some information about McKesson or possible access.  I realize access, since the site contains patient information, is probably not possible.  I'll keep you updated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Web viewer state doesn't persist when changing layouts
              TSGal

ltwimberly:

Testing is unable to replicate the issue with Facebook, Google, Dropbox, YouTube and Yahoo.  There is probably something specific with McKesson and possibly how cookies are stored from that site.  Unless you can provide more information or have a contact at McKesson, there isn't much more we can do.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Web viewer state doesn't persist when changing layouts
                ltwimberly

It does seem to be particular to the McKesson site. But the site works fine in FM Go 13 and 14, and also works in FM Pro 15, in Safari, and in Mobile Safari. So something about the web viewer has clearly changed in FM Go 15.

This issue prevents me from using my solution in FM Go 15, and thus from taking advantage of any of the new features of the v15 platform. What additional information can I provide to assist you in addressing this issue?

Thanks again,

Lee W.

• 5. Re: Web viewer state doesn't persist when changing layouts
                  TSGal

ltwimberly:

FileMaker Go 14 and earlier was accessing the iOS WebKit using an application programming interface (API) that iOS recently deprecated, so a switch to the new API occurred in FileMaker Go 15.  I don't know the differences, but I have sent your comments to Development and Testing for more information about what changes were made.  I will keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.