1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2016 5:07 AM by fratinize

FMP 15 possible bug, Script/button?

BillCollins

Button calls script to go to a record by ID, script parameter for desired record ID. Works in FileMaker 14 and earlier, crashes FileMaker 15.

Similar button calling the same script in different layout works in FileMaker 15.

Change button in the first layout to go to related record and that works.

This problem occurs with different layouts, different buttons, different layouts/records to go to. Seems to be no pattern. IN all cases the buttons/scripts work fine in FileMaker 14 and earlier.

• 1. Re: FMP 15 possible bug, Script/button?
          TSPigeon

BillCollins:

Thank you for your post!

I was unable to reproduce a crash when changing records via a button running GoToRecord/Request/Page with FileMaker Pro 15 (Advanced) on Mac OS X 10.10 or Windows 7 Pro (64-bit). Have you been able to reproduce this issue in a new file or do you have further information to reproduce?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP 15 possible bug, Script/button?
            BillCollins

This is an old file, first created in Windows 7, updated and modified for the past several years in different versions of FIleMaker, now running OK in FileMaker 14. The problem mentioned occurs in FIleMaker 15.

I will also mention that this is a large and complex file, used for may years on a daily basis by a nonprofit I support. At present it comprises 59 tables, 306 layouts, 465 scripts, etc. The file size is 1.38 GB. It is hosted on a remote server but of course I have local copies to work on.

I plan to continue diagnosing this problem. Perhaps there is some corruption of some layouts etc. However, I have run consistency checks, file recovery and compacted the file, all of which disclose no problems.

I hate to go through some sort of hunt and peck process on this file to try to discover the problem.

Bill Collins

bbcollins@earthlink.net

803-642-9651

c 803-998-7191

• 3. Re: FMP 15 possible bug, Script/button?
              TSPigeon

BillCollins:

I understand. It may not be easily reproducible or happen to everyone. The recover process isn't perfect and old damage does tend to be more prevalent in newer products. One last idea -do the layouts this issue occurs on use the Classic theme?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMP 15 possible bug, Script/button?
                BillCollins

i’ll check on that.

Bill Collins

bbcollins@earthlink.net

803-642-9651

c 803-998-7191

• 5. Re: FMP 15 possible bug, Script/button?
                  BillCollins

I also remark that when I run the script step-by-step using the script debugger, it runs to completion without error, but when I run it straight through the failure occurs and the application crashes.

Bill Collins

bbcollins@earthlink.net

803-642-9651

c 803-998-7191

• 6. Re: FMP 15 possible bug, Script/button?
                    BillCollins

Tried it with theme Classic Refined Warm, and also with Minimalist. Same behavior.

I may rebuild the layout from scratch and see what happens.

Bill Collins

bbcollins@earthlink.net

803-642-9651

c 803-998-7191

• 7. Re: FMP 15 possible bug, Script/button?
                      TSPigeon

BillCollins:

That last bit is very interesting. Could you provide a sample of a script that is causing a crash and if there are any Variables or what-have-you where you are setting them? We had issues in 14's release where Variables were set via Conditional Formatting and weren't setting as fast as the script was attempting to get the data. There were no crashes in that scenario, but I'm wondering if it could be something somewhat similar? FileMaker Pro 15 may just be doing something more efficiently than older versions so we are seeing this issue.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMP 15 possible bug, Script/button?
                        BillCollins

OK. The script is below. But meanwhile I created a new layout from scratch that just has the two navigation buttons to go to the parent records in both directions, and they both work fine in the new layout. The layout is simpler than the original layout, that has a lot of additional information. The new layout just shows the names of the parent tables and the buttons.

I also created a new version of one of the scripts to see if it would have the same problem in the original layout, and it does have the same problem. So apparently it is not script corruption but some kind of layout corruption.

Here’s the script that now runs fine in the new layout, but crashed the application in the old layout:

————-

Navigation: Go to Contact by ID

#Called by pushbutton in various layouts #Script parameter ID

Allow User Abort

If  Exit Script

End If

Enter Find Mode

Go to Layout

Set Field  Perform Find

———-

Bill Collins

bbcollins@earthlink.net

803-642-9651

c 803-998-7191

• 9. Re: FMP 15 possible bug, Script/button?
                          BillCollins

I also just tried it on a local copy of the database to see if some delay in communication with the remote host might be a problem, but the behavior is the same. The script crashes the application when run from the original, now very suspect layout.

So it looks like the key is to build the layout anew with the same structure as the original, all built fresh. If it works OK, that isolates the problem and I will modify the appropriate scripts and navigation buttons to point to the new layout.

As a matter of interest, this suspect layout is related to one of the newer parts of my solution, only a couple of years old.

Bill Collins

bbcollins@earthlink.net

803-642-9651

c 803-998-7191

• 10. Re: FMP 15 possible bug, Script/button?
                            BillCollins

The plot thickens.

On the new layout when on the main body of the layout, the buttons work fine.

Put them on a tab p[anel and they crash the system.

Yet I have other similar navigation buttons on tab panels on other layouts that do work!!!

I also add that if I change the buttons to single step go to related record, they work fine even on the original suspect layout.

However, I also find that buttons in a portal that call a script to go to a record by ID work, even if the portal is in a tab panel, but buttons directly on a tab panel that call the same scripts don’t work.

However, in the latter case, Go to related record works fine without ambiguity.

In a portal, Go to related record takes you to the first of the related records, not necessarily the one you pushed the button for. So the script go to record by ID is valuable in the portal.

So I guess I will change the navigation buttons directly on tab panels to single step go to related record, and leave the buttons in the portals to call the script to go to record by ID.

Bill Collins

bbcollins@earthlink.net

803-642-9651

c 803-998-7191

• 11. Re: FMP 15 possible bug, Script/button?
                              user12610

Hi Bill,

I am wondering if you succeed to resolve or find the reason why your script is crashing.

I have exactly the same behaviour in one of my database.

A quiet simple script attached to a button.

When running it through the debug console it works fine but running it directly from the button or via the Script Workspace crashes the Application.

I rewrite the whole script step by step and same thing happens.

I also make a test by changing the layouts involves by other ones and... it crashes.

This is quiet strange as it works perfectly in Filemaker 14 and previous versions.

Screenshot of the script in attachment.

Any feedback from Filemaker would be very welcome.

Thank you.

Serge

• 12. Re: FMP 15 possible bug, Script/button?
                                TSPigeon

user12610:

I have been unable to reproduce the crash after creating a Test file with a script very similar to yours. I have sent a message to your inbox for further information.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FMP 15 possible bug, Script/button?
                                  Timothy Bentley

The same issue was found on another thread, and my findings are here: Re: Script craches filemaker

To highlight, the problem only occurs when starting on a layout with a tab control, and removing the tab control from the tab order seems to fix the problem.

• 14. Re: FMP 15 possible bug, Script/button?
                                    user12610

Hi Timothy,

Yes great finding. This will save me time for now. Thank you !

Hope this is a bug in Filemaker 15 that will be solved.

Best regards,

Serge

1 2 Previous Next