3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2016 12:23 PM by Mike_Mitchell

Charting a specific dataset

MattLeach

I've never made much use of FileMaker's charting capabilities but am finding myself in need of creating a few charts but I'm not certain how to proceed.

I have a table that contains notes for our client's records. There is a field within this table called Type. This field on the layout contains a checkbox set where multiple values can be selected. There are probably about 50 choices. I know there are better ways to accomplish this without using the checkbox set but this is how the managers prefer.

What I am attempting to do is create a chart that I can filter by day / week / month, etc.... that will show me the total count of each type based on the filter I select, but only to include those types which have been used.

I setup a chart utilizing the Type field in the Y axis and a Count (type ) in X but it was just a mess.

Is FileMaker's charting capable of doing this? Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Charting a specific dataset
          erolst

MattLeach wrote:

[…] a checkbox set where multiple values can be selected. There are probably about 50 choices. I know there are better ways to accomplish this without using the checkbox set but this is how the managers prefer.

Is FileMaker's charting capable of doing this? Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Absolutely – if by this you mean charting summarized values.

Having said that, it isn't really possible with your current data structure. – Well, it is, but only if you create one summary and one calculation field for each value of the checkbox value list, which is really messy and would require constant maintenance.

In short, your data structure is not sufficiently normalized to allow this kind of analysis. (As in: “one field, one fact”.)

I suggest you do what you suspected all along would be a better way: create a table where each record represents a checked value. Now all you need for your chart is a summary field and a sort order.

You still can present the actual creation/deletion of a related record as the act of checking/unchecking a box, if your manager's heart is set on it.

• 2. Re: Charting a specific dataset
            MattLeach

I figured that would be the answer. I was against the checkbox set from the beginning but ultimately have to listen to who signs my paycheck lol. Perhaps knowing I cant report on what they want will help my case.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Charting a specific dataset
              Mike_Mitchell

If your customer / manager / person with power is dead set on having the checkbox set, you can also write a script that assembles the data into variables and chart that instead.

But really, try to get a proper data model in place if you can.

1 of 1 people found this helpful