1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2016 10:39 AM by PSI

web direct printing

tonyed

Has version 15 fixed the printing problem in web direct?

@

• 1. Re: web direct printing
          beverly

please define "the printing problem". what do you want to happen? what happens & what doesn't happen?

do you believe it is a bug or ??

more details, so you may be helped?

beverly

• 2. Re: web direct printing
            Markus Schneider

I believe, heshe asks if native printing is possible, ie printing an invoice (not printing via browser or via robot)

Then, the answer will be 'No'

• 3. Re: web direct printing
              beverly

are you referring to Print to PDF? "Print" to Excel? we need to know the question.

beverly

• 4. Re: web direct printing
                Saltaras

Not sure if everyone's playing dumb on this one....  the printing problem was the most critical flaw in Web Direct! There has been tons written and posted about this problem all over the web. I don't know anyone that has been able to effectively use Web Direct due to the fact that you cannot print reports.  You can only "screen print" which is worthless.   If this problem is still not fixed, then there is no reason to update to 15 in my opinion.

• 5. Re: web direct printing
                  LSNOVER

It's not a matter of "playing dumb".  The original message implies there was a "problem", i.e. BUG, of some kind with printing in WebDirect.  What your really asking is did they add a new FEATURE to allow printing in WebDirect, and the answer is a resounding and disappointed NO. 

That said, I believe there things going on in FM15 under the hood (like a new PDF engine), that may be a pre-cursor to such a feature finally coming.  I agree, it is a big missing component, especially with the price increases.  Just keep up friendly pressure on FMI to let them know this is important to you.  Also go to the new feature requests page and vote for the requests that have already been posted related to this feature, and or create your own.

• 6. Re: web direct printing
                    LSNOVER

No "native" printing support in WebDirect.  Hoping such a feature may come in the next version.

• 7. Re: web direct printing
                      wimdecorte

Saltaras wrote:

Not sure if everyone's playing dumb on this one.... the printing problem was the most critical flaw in Web Direct! There has been tons written and posted about this problem all over the web. I don't know anyone that has been able to effectively use Web Direct due to the fact that you cannot print reports. You can only "screen print" which is worthless. If this problem is still not fixed, then there is no reason to update to 15 in my opinion.

Be kind to the other people here.

Not everyone needs printing to make WebDirect work.  But yes, it would be nice it the printing could be solved by generating PDFs that the user can download.

• 8. Re: web direct printing
                        jfletch

Um, you know that it's HTML, don't you, Saltaras? NO ONE has a way to print a web page as anything coherent. All the time when I go to a site and I want to print ANYTHING that won't fit on one screen, the site will generate a PDF and either send it to me or download it. THAT is the solution. PRINTING a web page is never a good option.

As Wim says (correctly, as always), it would be nice to have a simple, straightforward, native way to generate those PDFs, but "printing a report from WebDirect" is never going to happen.

Sure it violates the "it's just like FileMaker on the desktop" meme, but wasn't that always just a bit high of an expectation for a web page?

• 9. Re: web direct printing
                          Markus Schneider

concerning html...

recently, I was in a meeting where a company that produces webforms was presentating their software. All html, customers fill data in a webform. We asked them how they print those forms.

Answer: 'No problem, we print perfectly, pixelwise.'

We insisted - their reply: 'If one knows how to do that - no problem'

Not complang here - there are feature requests for webd-printing..

• 10. Re: web direct printing
                            beverly

yes, consider the "Responsive web design" where the browser knows where it is (type of browser, OS, mobile, screen size, etc.). But I don't always get what I see as a "printout" when dealing with web.

Now think of how Web Direct is optimized for viewing and data entry. Perhaps a print layout is needed for that function only? or WD is not ready for printing all layouts.

I agree "if one knows how...". More work needs to be done on this wonder we call what-you-create-appears-on-the-web.

beverly

• 11. Re: web direct printing
                              jfletch

So, did you find out what their magic sauce was? If they don't tell you then it is not safe to assume that it is simple web technology that they've figured out.

I wonder why, out of all the websites that I deal with (as a consumer), not one has a print that works with on-screen presentation. All of them either switch you to a reformatted layout that can be printed as seen on the screen, send me a printable email, send me a PDF, or immediately download a PDF. Not one I have run into can "print" a report as needed.

That just led me to believe that that is not something that HTML can really do. Does HTML have a way to figure out what your printer is capable of and format the pages that way? I'm still leaning toward believing that the issue of webD printing is way more an issue of html limitations than FileMaker's incompetence, or even misplaced priorities.

• 12. Re: web direct printing
                                Saltaras

Thanks for the responses everyone.  It seems like there should be a way, but I am not a programmer and I realize that this is not a "bug".  Filemaker is still a great product.  How does Google do printing so well though?  We use google docs for everything from writer to spreadsheets and can print perfect forms from any computer or iPad etc.   So there must be a way.  

To: Thomas Atlas <tatlas@yahoo.com>

Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2016 7:47 AM

Subject: Re:  - web direct printing

web direct printing

reply from wimdecorte in Discussions - View the full discussion

Saltaras wrote: Not sure if everyone's playing dumb on this one.... the printing problem was the most critical flaw in Web Direct! There has been tons written and posted about this problem all over the web. I don't know anyone that has been able to effectively use Web Direct due to the fact that you cannot print reports. You can only "screen print" which is worthless. If this problem is still not fixed, then there is no reason to update to 15 in my opinion.

Be kind to the other people here.Not everyone needs printing to make WebDirect work.  But yes, it would be nice it the printing could be solved by generating PDFs that the user can download.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on FileMaker Community

Start a new discussion in Discussions by email or at FileMaker Community

Following web direct printing in these streams: Inbox

Manage your email preferences

FileMaker Developer Conference 2016 • Las Vegas, Nevada • July 18-21 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 13. Re: web direct printing
                                  user19752

I think Jive already did some good job for printing, when I "preview" this thread page, it removes top navigation header and keep other contents like as WISIWIG.

I have stress for printing some other sites where they fully break page layout on printing. But simple html pages should be able to be printed without making PDF, browsers can do it.

For webd, it is not "simple" since the showing data in page is not the all data for print always, so making PDF may have advantage.

• 14. Re: web direct printing
                                    PSI

Hi Tonyed,

As you have seen there is no native way to print from WD. However, I used a robot computer and Troi Activator to setup 'printing' on demand. It actually creates a PDF which is loaded into a container field for the user to download.

If you would like more info let me know.

Being able to save as PDF from the server would help.

1 2 Previous Next