14 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2016 10:51 AM by casystems

FileMaker for Teams

casystems

I don't quite see the point of FM for Teams? If you have 50 users who all use FM occasionally with a max of say 25 users at any one time, even with FM Teams you still need to purchase licenses for 50 users. The only 'advantage' is if you have users who need to connect from either a desktop, an iPads an IPhones or the web. Nearly all my users just use the FM client on Macs or windows.

I had hoped that when FM changed over to a 'concurrent' model it means anybody rather than named users...

Carl

• 1. Re: FileMaker for Teams
          steveromig

I don't quite see the point of FM for Teams? If you have 50 users who all use FM occasionally with a max of say 25 users at any one time, even with FM Teams you still need to purchase licenses for 50 users. The only 'advantage' is if you have users who need to connect from either a desktop, an iPads an IPhones or the web. Nearly all my users just use the FM client on Macs or windows.

I had hoped that when FM changed over to a 'concurrent' model it means anybody rather than named users...

Carl

FileMaker Licensing for Teams is not going to be for everyone or apply to every situation.  Legacy concurrent licensing is still available by contacting FileMaker Sales directly for those who find that FLT licensing does not meet their needs. 

See the FAQ on the subject for more information.

https://www.filemaker.com/purchase/store/faq-teams.html

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker for Teams
            tomasd

When I buy Team license, I get Filemaker server and X number of FileMaker Pro (for UC). I have few questions:

1) Do I have to buy FileMaker Pro desktop application for each user, or is it included?

2) Annual plan

Can I use licence after the subscription ends (or after more years of paying) without updates?

3) FileMaker Pro for UC

Can FM Pro UC open local database files?

• 3. Re: FileMaker for Teams
              jwmickelson

When you buy FileMaker Pro for Teams you are buying FM Server with a specified number of User Connections.  You should also receive a download link for FileMaker Pro (for User Connections) which is a version of FileMaker Pro that will "connect" to your server and use the server User Connections while doing so.

Once FMP for UC has connected to the server it may work with Files on that Server, Local Files, Files from other servers etc.  In this way, it is actually possible (though probably not practical) to install FileMaker Server and the User Connections solely for the purpose of being a license server, and all users use only local files once they've connected. The more common use will obviously be to have your solution files on the server as well.

When you buy your licenses, regardless of what product you are licensing:

1. If you buy with an Annual license, you only have the right to use that license for the year you've paid, if you continue paying the annual renewals you can continue using it.  If you stop, you must stop using it.
              2. If you buy with a Perpetual license (with its associated higher cost), you may continue to use the version of the product you licensed forever. 
                • With Perpetual licenses, you will have the option to pay an additional annual renewal fee to obtain software maintenance, which provides you upgrades to those products to any versions released during that upcoming year.

Hope that helps answer your questions!

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: FileMaker for Teams

casystems wrote:

Carl

It seems that the only difference between FileMaker Concurrent Connections and FileMaker User Connections is that that you are required to purchase more FUCs than Con-Conns based on the number of humans you employ.

• 5. Re: FileMaker for Teams
                  jwmickelson

That's pretty accurate.

If it was a valid way to protect FMI's install base, I might support it more, but it actually pushes costs higher than the more traditional routes and I think it will REALLY adversely affect small clients, and basically hamstring many business uses of Web Direct.

Price wise, a traditional Server + FMPro AVLA for 25 users is same price as "25 for Teams".  That initially sounds fair.

But with the traditional route, you can install FMP on 25 machines, a day shift and a night shift could use these desktops. The price points of any customer who has employs more people than machines relies on this model.

If "For Teams" used a concurrent licensing model, these customers ability to use what they've bought into would remain unchanged, AND it would be a fair price for both parties, because it already has been using the other model.

I almost think that an idea for protecting against Shared Hosting got forced into the Pro/Web Direct landscape and is driving the User vs connection semantics... I really wish this wasn't the case.

Jonathan

• 6. Re: FileMaker for Teams
                    wimdecorte

campsoftware wrote:

It seems that the only difference between FileMaker Concurrent Connections and FileMaker User Connections is that that you are required to purchase more FUCs than Con-Conns based on the number of humans you employ.

That's a fair summary for the licensing point of view.

That's the direction that FMI licensing is going.  And you can still get the con-conn licensing right now but that particular price is going to go up.  That's the overall gist of the announcement.

There are opportunities to lock in the price and give yourself plenty of time to figure out the future.

• 7. Re: FileMaker for Teams
                      casystems

"But with the traditional route, you can install FMP on 25 machines, a day shift and a night shift could use these desktops. The price points of any customer who has employs more people than machines relies on this model."

Is that true, my understanding from FileMaker is that you require 50 licenses as there are 50 'users'. Perhaps somebody from FileMaker might like to comment before I contact one of my new clients to tell them how many licenses they require

I gather that some companies get around this sort of 'user restriction' by software suppliers by creating 'dummy users' and then telling their staff to login as one of the fake users...

• 8. Re: FileMaker for Teams
                        jwmickelson

"But with the traditional route, you can install FMP on 25 machines, a day shift and a night shift could use these desktops. The price points of any customer who has employs more people than machines relies on this model."

Is that true, my understanding from FileMaker is that you require 50 licenses as there are 50 'users'. Perhaps somebody from FileMaker might like to comment before I contact one of my new clients to tell them how many licenses they require

Sorry if I wasn't clear, you USED TO BE ABLE to install 25 FMP's on 25 computers and 50 + people could rotate, and use them... that was the old way. 

The new Teams way, requires a User License for each individual User who will use any client in the FileMaker Suite.

Even in the Teams licensing mode, the only thing "counted" by server is concurrent connections... thus the "User" requirement is a legal one, that the business will need to monitor to make sure a manager doesn't accidentally grant too many people (like a new temp intern) access to.

• 9. Re: FileMaker for Teams
                          SteveNoble
                          "The new Teams way, requires a User License for each individual User who will use any client in the FileMaker Suite."

My questions is how will Filemaker police this. If I have a license for 25 users, does FM prevent me from adding more than 25 accounts to a solution or prevent more than cumulative 25 accounts on all solutions hosted by that server. I did not think so. Will they in the future? (I know they wont answer that)

My under standing is the only thing FileMaker prevents is no more than 25 connections at any given time (in the above example). Which means from a practical standpoint this still works the same as concurrent connections.

Does FileMaker plan on enforcing the one user one license rule? And how will they do that? I don't remember the exact language, but I got the impression FileMaker expects some people to use team pricing with concurrent users. Tripling the legacy concurrent price sounds more like discouraging the old method without having to deprecate that method.

I have about 15 internal users who would use FM all the time. The new team pricing makes sense for those users. I have hundreds of customers that I am offering access to but would log on a few times a month. The concurrent model makes sense but not when the price triples. I would be better to have someone write CWP even if it cost me several thousand dollars up front.

• 10. Re: FileMaker for Teams
                            casystems

I remember many years ago a client used a "key server" with FileMaker. You told the server how many licenses you had and it would only let that many users run the software. If you were going off the 'network' you just checked out a key to use for as long as you needed.

I suspect there are a lot of companies these days who would happily return to a system like this? None of FileMaker's licensing schemes seem to cater for 'occasional' users.

• 11. Re: FileMaker for Teams
                              Markus Schneider

What, if some of the Team-Members are working on the road? No internet. They could start their laptops at a location with server access - but then, they are off-line

• 12. Re: FileMaker for Teams
                                casystems

I think, as long as they only want to access FileMaker for 15mins or less they should be ok!!

• 13. Re: FileMaker for Teams
                                  Markus Schneider

(response to casystems; no way to reply from this view)

Yes, that's my intention as well. But: No way when working (partly) out of net. Do you guys have net everywhere? Here, somtimes we got net (in trains..) - but only to the WLAN of the car, not to the 'world'... Sometimes, we have not even data, maybe edge

• 14. Re: FileMaker for Teams
                                    casystems

I plan to give FLT a miss for the moment ...