1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2016 12:33 AM by TimAnderson

Why must I purchase 20 users if I only need 16?

jgalt

Why can't customers purchase the exact number of users that they want/need?

• 1. Re: Why must I purchase 20 users if I only need 16?
          Vincent_L

Clearly this is a big problem. I don't use Webdirect due to that. I'd need 3 connection, not 1, not five.

My boss doesn't want to pay  for 2 connections we won't use (In case you're wondering, those web direct in my case would be in the nice to have range, not critical, it's a luxury, so we can live without it, but the end result is no money or FMI)

• 2. Re: Why must I purchase 20 users if I only need 16?
            RickWhitelaw

Keep in mind the limit is for concurrent connections. You could have 100 people accessing your database. Just not at the same time. So if you have 16 users you have to figure out what are the odds that 16 will be connected at the same time. If the odds are nil then stick with 15. I don't know. Perhaps the odds of more than 10 concurrent users is also nil. Then buy for 10.

• 3. Re: Why must I purchase 20 users if I only need 16?
              jgalt

My client has 16 people. They all connect at the same time when they arrive to work in the morning. I can understand there being different pricing tiers based on quantity...but why must they purchase in specified increments? This makes no sense at all.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Why must I purchase 20 users if I only need 16?
                jormond

Does volume ( VLA or AVLA ) not work for you?

• 6. Re: Why must I purchase 20 users if I only need 16?
                  bigtom

This is a recurring concern and it is a valid one especially with new FLT.

FMI has officially stated they do this to regulate the # of SKUs they have. This is not really a fact. It is a fact that an SKU for one connection/user is far less that what they have now.

The number of connections is tied directly into the license key. Maybe the license key is too difficult to generate for any valid number of connections? I think not. The fact that it is a UUID and has a unique organization attached to it makes this very possible. Maybe FMI just did not want to bother with the internal change to make generating license keys as an SKU x Qty, but I think this would be easy as VLA for FMP clients work this way without being grouped by 5's but with a minimum of 5.

I tried to see this from the view of FMI trying to keep people from abusing keys that were issued and then had the # of connections reduced at renewal. This does not make much sense either sine the releases are coming yearly and the risks are exactly the same.

There is no good reason other than FMI wants the money for groups of 5 even if you do not need them. Maybe the minimum could be 5 and anything above that is ok.  Somebody thought they had a great idea with the "5" thing but it seems not many people are actually happy with it. I am sure this will continue with FLT.

My other connected concern is why is there a limit to FMGo connections. It is not limited by WPE/hardware like WD is? Maybe another topic.

Is the sale of 75 users/connections to a company that needs 52 users is a happy one???

• 7. Re: Why must I purchase 20 users if I only need 16?
                    Vincent_L

That's just totally dishonest and can only be accepted by those who've no choice. That's the definition of an abuse, it deserves a class action. That's just contempt for customers.

How can you ask us, how to entice new devs in the platform (which in itself is a good idea), and at the same time overcharge  people for things they don't need to.

In the end, it will only hurt the best customers and FMI business.  FMI will get less sales they could have had doing the honest thing. I explained my case, they've lost 3 comfort license from me. And I guess this will repeat itself, customers have brains, it will also make people shy away from a platform that dare to overcharge its customers for stuff they don't need.

Here in france, you call this forced sales, but maybe that's just for consumers goods. Anyway, it's not ok

• 8. Re: Why must I purchase 20 users if I only need 16?
                      jgalt

Joshua Ormond wrote:

How much longer are those options going to be available...and at what price?

• 9. Re: Why must I purchase 20 users if I only need 16?
                        casystems

I would stick with the old VLA or AVLA option where you can buy as many clients as you need.

I am still trying to get my head around what  the new "Teams" option offers for most people as you still need a license for every member of a team. I had hoped that Teams would be for concurrent connections rather than everybody in a 'team' so unless you have an exact number of users who are divisible by 5 then it seems it's a more expensive option. Don't forget you have to be connected to the FM server as well if you want to use a Teams license so if you are out and about and your FM server is behind a Firewall I can't see that working either.

Carl

• 10. Re: Why must I purchase 20 users if I only need 16?
                          jormond

As far as I've heard AVLA and VLA are not changing. The roadmap they discussed was only about concurrent connections, and that would take you through 2018 or 2020 depending on when you renew.

But it that did affect buying or licensing pro and server with VLA or AVLA. There may be some alterations in the future. But no talk of it yet that I have heard.

Thus outrage about the FTL and packs of 5 is a little over-assertive. They are not forcing anything. Use it if it works. If not, VLA or AVLA are still available. With no changes.

• 11. Re: Why must I purchase 20 users if I only need 16?
                            wimdecorte

jgalt wrote:

Joshua Ormond wrote:

How much longer are those options going to be available...and at what price?

That has not been said.  For now the options are certainly still going to be available.  The WebD / Go connection packs are going to increase in price I believe at some point.

• 12. Re: Why must I purchase 20 users if I only need 16?
                              bigtom

I do think 2-4 years notice on a big price increase is pretty generous. FLT is a reasonable model for certain people and it will be an easy explanation to new users aside from the need for 5's.

FLT with 10 connections is cheaper than AVLA with 5x FMP + 5 connections when you have 6-8 people sharing resources. So it will make sense for a lot of people.

I guess the point is that FMI has the clear ability to license connections individually and people keep asking for it. Yet, still sold by 5's. The official statement that they are trying to keep as few SKUs as possible just does not hold water.

• 13. Re: Why must I purchase 20 users if I only need 16?
                                casystems

As I read it, Filemaker does not allow one to 'share resources'.. Although I don't know how they can police this, especially if the databases is behind a corporate Firewall! I can see Firewalls causing all sorts of 'issues' for FLT users anyway.

• 14. Re: Why must I purchase 20 users if I only need 16?
                                  kaliente

My situation is a good example.   I use Filemaker Go on 6 iPads concurrently to Filemaker Server for my POS.  I also have a need to access via at least 1 iPhone or via Webdirect.  In this case I need 7 concurrent connections, not 5, not 10, but 7 simultaneous connections.

1 2 Previous Next