4 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2016 4:35 PM by roalex

Two independent series of data in the same DB

roalex

I need to create 2 independent series of data. For instance: 1) field "data" and field "number of publications of PR people"; 2) the same for RM people. If I create two different Formats, one for PR and the other for RM, with common fields, whenever I create a new record in one of the two Formats the same happens in the other Format (as the fields are common and not independent). Who can help me or indicate in which section of the FileMakerPro 10 Guide I can find the solution? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Two independent series of data in the same DB
          erolst

If you're collecting disparate sets of data, then you would need multiple tables (because you would have different entities – or types of things) ; but if – as I assume – this data is essentially similar, then simply create a category field for values like "PR" and "RM"; this allows you to find only records that belong to one or the other category, or display records of both types and display them in a grouped manner.

roalex wrote:

Who can help me or indicate in which section of the FileMakerPro 10 Guide I can find the solution? Thank you.

This is more a question of data modelling, so I'd recommend you read the section on designing databases

• 2. Re: Two independent series of data in the same DB
            roalex

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

I created a field in the record, in which I classify that record as RM or PR. After a "control find" command I write RM or PR in that field and can extract one of the two sets. Trouble is that any new record I create in one set is created in the other set, too. I presume this is due to the fact that the two sets belong to the same file and I am not able to make them independent.

If you have a suggestion in this regard I would be glad.

Regards.

Alessandro

• 3. Re: Two independent series of data in the same DB
              erolst

roalex wrote:

Trouble is that any new record I create in one set is created in the other set, too. I presume this is due to the fact that the two sets belong to the same file and I am not able to make them independent.

If you have a suggestion in this regard I would be glad.

Well, they belong to the same table, and a found set is something transient.

You could either create an auto-enter calculation that reads

GetNthRecord ( categoryField ; Get ( RecordNumber ) - 1 )

so that a new record will automatically gain the category of the preceding record in a set – or none if that set is empty.

or create a little script:

Set Variable [ $category ; Table::categoryField ]

New Record/Request

Set Field [ Table::categoryField; $category ]

which creates a duplicate in respect to the category, but does not carry over any other data.

The script does essentially the same as the auto-enter calc, with the difference that you need to trigger it explicitly, while the calculation will always apply, regardless of your method of record creation.

• 4. Re: Two independent series of data in the same DB
                roalex

Thank you very much. I will try both ways.

I thought that it could be possible to simply create two independent tables (as the two sets are) and to switch between both.

Alessandro