3 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2016 4:13 PM by keywords

Data Collecting

donjuan1498

Hello,

I am looking for advise. I am building a payment tracking database which houses thousands of transactions monthly. Essentially we get paid from several sources and those are inputed into a payment table that is the easy part. I also receive additional payments from another source which houses the same payment information from another company.

Example I get paid from directly Companies X, Y, Z

each line item has the same info on the statements.

I also get paid from Company Main whom is paying additional on the same product as companies XYZ.

So essentially I will have several payment with the same information. I want to be able to look at one product and see how many times I was paid and from whom.

So if company X pays me each month $15 directly and Company Main pays me on company x $5 I want to see every instance on that for the year and also see where it came from.

Where I am running into a problem is I don't know if I just want to put them all into one table as it is all the same info (though the records in the 100k's. Or do I put them into separate and join them with a join table, and if so how do I do so?

I am an novice at best with FMP so I apologize if I am going at this wrong. Thanks for any help you have.

• 1. Re: Data Collecting
          bigtom

It is a little unclear exactly what you are looking for, but it should like the Main sub payment should be attached in a related table to Payments. How do you want to see the data and what do you want to do with it?

• 2. Re: Data Collecting
            donjuan1498

Thank you for your response again I apologize for my unclear explanation. What I am trying to accomplish is a summary of payments received. Essentially I should (using my previous example) get paid $20 total from all companies. I get paid directly from companies XYV and I have to wait to get the additional money from company main. The amounts very but for my example I am going to use $15 and $5.

My statements looks like this

Direct payments

Payment date -

Payment Amount -

Product -

Company Name -

I get paid from Company X

Payment date - 4/1/2016

Payment Amount - 15

Product - Giro

Company Name - X

Product number - 230839283

I get paid from Company Y

Payment date - 4/1/2016

Payment Amount - 15

Product - DEC

Product Number - 23232323

Company Name - Z

Payment date - 4/1/2016

Payment Amount - 15

Product - HEX

Company Name - X

Product number - 35353535

I then receive a statement from my partner company Company Main which has the same info just paying from them different amounts and dates.

Payment date - 4/5/2016

Payment Amount - 5

Product - Giro

Company Name - X

Product number - 230839283

I get paid from Company Y

Payment date - 4/5/2016

Payment Amount - 5

Product - DEC

Product Number - 23232323

Company Name - Z

Payment date - 4/5/2016

Payment Amount - 5

Product - HEX

Company Name - X

Product number - 35353535

I would like to summarize all this data. And I know I can do so but putting it all into the same table but I am not sure if that is a good practice or if I should keep it all separate as in the payment I receive directly and the payments I get from my partner.

I am just trying to find the best way to do so I have 1000 of these type of transactions a month. Please let me know if that helps.

• 3. Re: Data Collecting
              keywords

If you have Companies, Products and Payments all in separate tables and appropriately related via match fields—through join tables if necessary—then you should be able to construct suitable reports showing, for example, within the Companies table all payments received from each company and what products the payments were for; within the Products table all payments received for each product and which company made the payment; etc.