2 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 1:59 PM by steveromig

Truncate Table script step

RobWestergaard

Does the new "Truncate Table" script step not work on hosted files? Or only files hosted on FMS15? I'm trying to execute that step on a file hosted on FMS14 using Mac FMPA15.0.1, and I keep getting  error 3, "Command is unavailable". This happens with or without dialog on, and whether explicitly specifying the table or using <current table>. I'm the only one logged into the file, so I don't believe record lock should be an issue, especially since it happens in every table I try. I didn't see anything specifically about this in the help file.

• 1. Re: Truncate Table script step
          beverly

my guess would be that FMS14 does not understand the new script step, even if you are using FMP/FMPA 15.

beverly

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Truncate Table script step
            steveromig

Does the new "Truncate Table" script step not work on hosted files? Or only files hosted on FMS15? I'm trying to execute that step on a file hosted on FMS14 using Mac FMPA15.0.1, and I keep getting error 3, "Command is unavailable". This happens with or without dialog on, and whether explicitly specifying the table or using <current table>. I'm the only one logged into the file, so I don't believe record lock should be an issue, especially since it happens in every table I try. I didn't see anything specifically about this in the help file.

Bev is correct in her guess.

The use of the Truncate Table script step is one of those cases where version 15 has to be the same on both sides of the FileMaker Platform equation - both the client and server have to be using version 15.

One of the strengths of the Truncate Table script step is its use in a hosted file.  You should find that large hosted datasets should delete much faster with the use of Truncate Table versus using Delete All Records.  And it can be used with non-hosted files as well.

Just be wary of its use as it does not respect found sets when run.

For all others, the online help for FileMaker Pro 15 is very good about explaining all the other nuances of Truncate Table and should be checked out if you have any further questions.

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/15/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Ftruncate-table.html

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful