1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 2:09 PM by steveromig

FMP 12 unable to open or recover

rebecca11201

I have been having issues with Filemaker not opening correctly.  When I try to open up the database, I get a message like this:

error.jpg

When this issue first started, I could close this out once or twice and then the database would open with no issues and not data lost.  Yesterday when I logged in, I got the same error and used the Recover command.  It went through the process of recovering and snail speed.  It got to step 6 of 17 and froze.  I had to shut it down with task manager.  Our local IT support technician tried to restore the program last night from available backups.  When I came in this morning, the program went through the same error messages as stated above.

Can anyone help with troubleshooting this issue?  The offsite backup only lasts @30 days.  I do not use this program on a daily basis, so the times that I have logged in to know there was an issue, compared to the amount of times that has passed has put me in a bad spot as far as backups to restore from.

Thank you in advance for any information that could be helpful!

Rebecca

• 1. Re: FMP 12 unable to open or recover
          dtcgnet

Where is the database located? On your machine? Is it shared with other users? Which version of FileMaker Pro are you using?

• 2. Re: FMP 12 unable to open or recover
            schamblee

It's not recommend to used a file that has been recovered.  Recover is used to make the file readable so you can export your data out into a backup copy without the issue.    You need a backup from before the first time the message appeared.   You need your own backup of files you use, separate from corporate. Backups can save the day.    I backup to dropbox.

There is a "Save A Copy" Script step that you can add to a exit button so it will automatically backup each time you exit.  Set a variable with your document path and add a timestamp to the filename, then every time you exit you have a new backup on your computer.

Sorry, recover is about your only choice.

It important to figure out what cause your file corruptions, so it does not occur again.

The database can only be shared with FMS or FMP and the database should be remove from virus scans.

• 3. Re: FMP 12 unable to open or recover
              coherentkris

if you google filemaker corruption you will see a wealth of information on how to handle the condition.

Once you have corruption in a file it is difficult to correct and the only 100% sure ways to fix the problem are to restore from an uncorrupted backup OR completely rebuild the file from scratch.

From scratch means start from a new, blank file and rebuild everything. Do not import anything but DATA from the corrupt file.

A recovered file should NEVER continue to be used but should only provide a data source.

Once you have restored the4 file your not done because you really need to perform a root cause analysis and implement the resultant mitigation plan.

Some system level event cause the file to become corrupt.. most likely causes are power loss while the file is hosted and being accessed.. and any external process ( virusscan, backup, dropbox.. etc ) touching the file while it is open and hosted.

if you dont eliminate the cause this will happen again.

It also sounds like you should adjust your backup plan.

• 4. Re: FMP 12 unable to open or recover
                rebecca11201

The database is located on my computer and the information that is stored is pulled from our company server.  Filemaker is installed on three other computers with read only rights.  My computer has the admin. rights for the program.  I am using FMP 12.

• 5. Re: FMP 12 unable to open or recover
                  rebecca11201

Thank you so much for the information schamblee.  I started this database 5 years ago and it has been a work in progress through pre-construction, construction and now operation of our plant.  From what I understand now, I may have to rebuild everything and can only use the recovered file as a reference of data?  I am by far not an IT expert and was relying on someone that I thought had enough knowledge to set this up correctly and have dependable backup information. 

• 6. Re: FMP 12 unable to open or recover
                    rebecca11201

Thank you for your input.  I will forward this information to our IT technician and see what can be done.  He said that the offsite backup lasts only about 30 days because of the size of the file.  I don't know if there is anything available past @30 days that is a clean backup without the current issue that I am having.  I have been able to use the program with minimal issues, but I don't use it on a daily basis.  I could get the program to open by running a consistency check, but when I opened my log file, it appears that it never finishes the operation, therefore causing it to try and run the next time I opened the program.  It finally came to a head yesterday when the recovery option didn't even work. 

• 7. Re: FMP 12 unable to open or recover
                      gdurniak

It would help to have a bit more detail:

- How big is your database file ( Mb, Gb ? )

- Do you store images or documents in Container fields ?

- Recover Step 6 rebuilds the Tables. A corrupt Table could make it freeze

- Is there a Recover Log ( it should be in the same folder as the db files ) ?  Read thru the log ( or send it to me ). It is cryptic, but provides many clues, e.g. it might show which Table it stopped on, so you could perhaps delete that one table

- are you running FileMaker Server Software ?  It is not clear, from your description

- For more info on file corruption, have your IT guy read thru this:

http://www.fileshoppe.com/recover.htm

greg

> When this issue first started, I could close this out once or twice and then the database would open with no issues and not data lost.  Yesterday when I logged in, I got the same error and used the Recover command.  It went through the process of recovering and snail speed.  It got to step 6 of 17 and froze

• 8. Re: FMP 12 unable to open or recover
                        rebecca11201

Greg,

Database file size:  7.07GB

I do store .jpeg in a container field

I don't know if I am running Server Software or not.  If you can tell me how to find out, I can let you know.

I have had my IT person helping with this, but he is more network knowledge than software.  It has been very frustrating.  I know how to use Filemaker and create databases.  Troubleshooting is not my area of expertise. When I opened the recovered database, it showed that there were 0 of 0 records found, but it still shows the file size to be 7GB.  I searched for a drawing number that I knew should be there, and it came up.  I am now having trouble knowing that the information is there, I just can't make it show up correctly.  I was going to try and export the old file into a new one, but I am having a hard time doing that as well. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

rebeca

• 9. Re: FMP 12 unable to open or recover
                          rebecca11201

Also, if I want to send you a PDF of the recover log, how would I do that?  I do not see an "attach" option here in the reply area.

• 10. Re: FMP 12 unable to open or recover
                            gdurniak

Send me a "Message",  and attach your Recover.log file

No need for a PDF

greg

> I want to send you a PDF of the recover log, how would I do that?

• 11. Re: FMP 12 unable to open or recover
                              gdurniak

0 of 0 Records, while the Records are still there.  I have seen this happen. Very frustrating

The Recover Log may have a clue

In the mean time, try Save a Copy as Compacted. It may take a long time, but can fix a multitude of problems

Just out of curiosity,  download a demo of FileMaker 14 or 15,  and try opening a copy of the file with that, and also see what Recover does

you may need to contact Tech Support

greg

PS

Since you are on FileMaker 12, you could consider using "external storage" of your container images, to keep your database file size down. But that is an issue for another day

Since you are Recovering the file,  it is probably not hosted with FileMaker Server.  Another thing to consider,  later

• 12. Re: FMP 12 unable to open or recover
                                schamblee

Corrupt images in container fields has been known to cause FM to crash.   

Get all the backups you can get.  You may have to make a few different attempts to recover you data.

What to do when your file is corrupt | FileMaker

• 14. Re: FMP 12 unable to open or recover
                                  gdurniak

Unfortunately, the Recover Log does not say much, since it did not finish

It stopped on the "Table" Table,  which is probably your main Table

Since the file failed the Consistency Check,  Save a Copy as Compacted might fix that

Important:

Save the Original file ( if it will open ), not the Recovered Copy

If the Original will not open,  then use Recover,  select the "Advanced Options",  and select "Copy logical structure (same as Compacted Copy)"

This might work

greg

1 2 Previous Next