10 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2016 6:11 AM by taylorsharpe

FILE MAKER SERVER ON NAS

Lub

Is it possible to running File Maker Server on NAS to avoid PC (or MAC) running 24/7? FileMaker WebDirect?

I've SYNOLOGY DS715 NAS

ang

• 1. Re: FILE MAKER SERVER ON NAS
          user19752

No, it needs Windows Server or OSX.

• 2. Re: FILE MAKER SERVER ON NAS
            PeterWindle

some NAS systems support virtual environments (Windows), so it might be possible to Serve FM Server via Windows, but this is just theoretical.

You would of course, need to check both the OS and Hardware requirements... ;-)

• 3. Re: FILE MAKER SERVER ON NAS
              Magnus Fransson

Hi Lub,

I don't know for your NAS. But at our company, the IT-person, has set up a NAS with some virtualization software and a virtual machine running Windows 10. And then we installed FMS14 on that.

So it can be done. But be aware! Your hardware (CPU-core instruktionset) and OS must support installing the FileMaker Server Binary.

And moste likely the performance might take a hit if you are more then a handful users. (Due to substandard hardware and/or over commitment (too many tasks) of the hardware.) But test and see for your self.

With best regards Magnus Fransson.

• 4. Re: FILE MAKER SERVER ON NAS
                Markus Schneider

I wouldn't do that - even when the NAS supports virtualizing and FMS would install... too slow, especially for WebD

• 5. Re: FILE MAKER SERVER ON NAS
                  wimdecorte

Agreed with mschneider

A simple reminder: NAS is a No No

Not good for putting live files on it.  Not good to host VMs on it.

The key is the "network attached" part of the NAS acronym.  Once you go through the Network you are only getting a small fraction of what normal disk i/o speeds are.

As opposed to SANs.

• 6. Re: FILE MAKER SERVER ON NAS
                    taylorsharpe

I've used the globalSAN and XTarget to use iSCSI to mount Synology NAS on Mac OS X 10.9-11 for FileMaker Server hosted machines.  Basically, it tricks the OS into thinking there is a serial connection over the ethernet.  So, yes, you can do it and I've been successful at it. 

Note Wim's well formed advice that this is not a best practice and the reason it is not recommended is that ethernet connections are much more subject to breaking, even for shot periods of time, and are much less reliable than serial technologies like USB/FireWire/Thunderbolt/FiberChannel.  Actually, ethernet is specifically designed to constantly break and redirect packets, etc., which is great for sending data over the internet.  But it sucks for a service that expects highly reliable data to flow consistently. 

The only reason we did it on this one client was because I was told I had to make it work and I made them set up a dedicated switch for both the NAS and FileMaker Server where they were only one hop from each other so that other devices were not sharing the same ethernet to avoid interference.  It was a Mac Pro with two ethernets and we used one for the NAS and one for the LAN. 

I personally would not have a problem doing this on a development or test machine.  But it is a real no-no for production data services. 

• 7. Re: FILE MAKER SERVER ON NAS
                      Magnus Fransson

Hi wimdecorte,

wimdecorte wrote:

The key is the "network attached" part of the NAS acronym. Once you go through the Network you are only getting a small fraction of what normal disk i/o speeds are.

It seems that you and I are talking about two different things.

What I did was installing the FileMaker Server Software, on the NAS actual Hardware. Thus no network is involved in accessing the NAS local harddrive.

Even though it works very well for us (a hanful FMP users only), I do agree with @Markus_schneider. I would not recomend it for anny type of web use or larger group of users.

Though given the limited hardware (two cores, moderate speed and moderate RAM), it performs very well for us.

• 8. Re: FILE MAKER SERVER ON NAS
                        taylorsharpe

fran55on wrote:

What I did was installing the FileMaker Server Software, on the NAS actual Hardware. Thus no network is involved in accessing the NAS local harddrive.

Hmmmm.... Most NAS OSs are proprietary or sometimes Linux or Unbuntu.  I looked up Synology and their web site talks about them using the DSM NAS OS.  So that makes me wonder how you installed FMS on it.  Or maybe I'm confused and don't understand. 

• 9. Re: FILE MAKER SERVER ON NAS
                          Magnus Fransson

Hi taylorsharpe,

As I stated in my first reply, I was not responsible for the initial setup of the NAS and the virtualization. When I installed FMS, the NAS already where running Windows 10.

• 10. Re: FILE MAKER SERVER ON NAS
                            taylorsharpe

fran55on wrote:

Hi taylorsharpe,

As I stated in my first reply, I was not responsible for the initial setup of the NAS and the virtualization. When I installed FMS, the NAS already where running Windows 10.

Most interesting... I just personally had not run into this.  But, yes, it is possible.  I would mention that FileMaker Server 15 does not support Windows 10.  You need one of the Windows Server OS's (2008, 2012).

But if the NAS OS supports and runs FileMaker, then the NAS ethernet issue is not an issue.

PS: There may be issues with minimum hardware requirements.  FMS 15 Technical Specifications:  FileMaker Server 15 Technical Specifications | FileMaker