Product and version

FileMaker Pro 15.0.1

FileMaker Server 14.0.4.414

OS and version

Mac OS X 10.11.4

Hardware

iMac (21.5-inch)

Description

When I try to open a served multi-file solution, that have bidirectional relationships (main->related in the main file & related->main in the related file), with FMP15 launched on the same Mac that serves the files, it shows the following error message:

The temporary file “FMS_76E830F686A28BD56FEDAA83DCBF450C.fch” could not be created on the system disk.  Use a different name, make more room on the disk, or unlock it.

While that file is created in the folder ~/Library/Caches/FileMaker/DBCache/… and opened by FileMaker Pro.app

It seems to occur when I launch FMP 15 Client for Mac OS X on FM Server machine only.

How to replicate

Launch FMP 15 for Mac OS X on FM Server machine, open some served solution that has two or more related files, and try to define any backward relationship (related->main) in the related file.

Workaround

Replace .local name of the host with it's IP address in the Open Remote File dialog.

Or add additional references to the existing External Data Sources in the form of FileMaker Network file path format:

file:<fileName>

fmnet:/<hostIPAddress>/<fileName>

Or even better:

file:<fileName>

fmnet:/localhost/<fileName>

• 1. Re: FMP15 Backward Relationship Error
          paul@teamdf.com

I've seen a similar problem, but not just a backward relationship. I've got:

An Interface file that relates to a Data file and a Custom file. The Interface file opens and refers to the others just fine.

But the Custom file not only cannot relate back to the Interface file, it also can't relate to the Data file. External file reference was a simple:

file:/<filename>

This problem only occurs when opening the solution in FM Pro on the same machine as the hosting FM Server. So adding extra file references with "fmnet:/localhost/<filename" fixes this, too.

Speculation: the temp filename in the error dialog is always the same. Is each file trying to open, say, Data using the same temp file? When Custom tries to do this does it clash with Interface's existing temp file with the same name?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FMP15 Backward Relationship Error
            TSGal

alex_zueiv and paul:

Thank you for your posts and workarounds.

I have sent all information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FMP15 Backward Relationship Error
              paul@teamdf.com

Great, thank you.

Just to extend this, I've seen the Import Records script step fail because of this, too.

The step used a $FilePath = Get ( FilePath ) as a file reference. I've changed that to:

List (

Get ( FilePath ) ;

"fmnet:/localhost/" & Get ( FileName )

)

Which works nicely enough for now!

• 4. Re: FMP15 Backward Relationship Error
                alex_zueiv

FMP 15 does not delete temp files of closed DB's, as FMP 14 did. Even on quit. Probably that is why the temp filename is always the same. Not sure if that is a bug or feature. Maybe that helps to speed up opening of a remote file, but how many files we will finally have in the temp folder?!

• 5. Re: FMP15 Backward Relationship Error
                  bngoofy

I am also seeing the same issue but adding another file reference is not an easy workaround in a solution that has 62 files and over 100 tables. We work on custom solutions for hundreds of clients and use their server to make corrections and changes. Please LMK if there is a fix planned before we attempt to change hundreds of references.

• 6. Re: FMP15 Backward Relationship Error
                    TSGal

alex_zueiv:

On my Mac OS X 10.10.5 and Mac OS X 10.11.4 machines, the Get (TempoaryPath) folder would only be removed when FileMaker Pro 14 and FileMaker Pro 15 quit.  I could not get the TemporaryPath folder to delete when closing a database file.

There were times (even in FileMaker Pro 14) when the TemporaryPath folder would not be removed after quitting, and when FileMaker Pro was launched again, The TemporaryPath folder would append a ".1" to the folder name (and if multiple relaunches, ".2", ".3", etc.).  However, once the machine was rebooted, all TemporaryPath folders were removed.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMP15 Backward Relationship Error
                      alex_zueiv

TSGal,

No, we don't talk about the folder returned by the function Get(TemporaryPath). We talk about FMP's internal temp files.

FMP 14

When I launch FMP 14, it creates one temp file "FMTEMPFM43622_1.tmp" in the folder:

/private/var/folders/3c/hg21rxm124z4sq1jvkb9xd0w0000gn/T/

When I then open a served, 3-file solution, FMP 14 creates three more temp files in the same folder as the first one:

FMTEMPFM43622_2.tmp

FMTEMPFM43622_3.tmp

FMTEMPFM43622_4.tmp

When I close the solution, FMP 14 deletes the last three files.

When I quit FMP 14, it deletes the firs file.

FMP 15

When I launch FMP 15, it creates one temp file "FMTEMPFM44740_1.tmp" in the same folder as FMP 14:

/private/var/folders/3c/hg21rxm124z4sq1jvkb9xd0w0000gn/T/

When I then open a served, 3-file solution, FMP 15 creates three more temp files, but in a different folder:

~/Library/Caches/FileMaker/DBCache/9F998F424AD0CC2E4C6CC946D7F5D690/

…and with different names:

FMS_7D4DE2541B394583A9766078A189F843.fch

FMS_99A0A51AD854F85FFE99AF4328127C68.fch

FMS_AE6F3CDE1DE365DB6F0775A6116303FD.fch

When I close the solution, FMP 15 DOES NOT delete the last three files.

When I quit FMP 15, it deletes only the firs file:

FMTEMPFM44740_1.tmp

Next time I open that solution with FMP 15, it uses the same .fch temp files again. Their creation dates stay the same. They may say Yesterday or a few days before. Only Modification dates change. The more solutions I open, the more .fch files I have in the temp folder.

Probably all those temp folders will be deleted on reboot, but I wouldn't like to test that. That's a bad idea for the server, and my personal Mac usually hibernates in mode 3.

On your Mac the paths will be different. You can find them on the Open Files and Ports panel of the Activity Monitor or by performing the following command in Terminal:

lsof | grep -E "\.tmp|\.fch"

The question is: Is it a bug in FMP 15 or a new feature?

• 8. Re: FMP15 Backward Relationship Error
                        TSGal

alex_zueiv:

Thank you for the additional information about the DBCache folder.  I don't have 100% certainty on the actions so I have sent a request to Development for a complete explanation.

In regards to your original report of the file being unable to be created on the disk, our Development and Testing departments are unable to replicate the issue and have requested a copy of your file so they can try it here.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FMP15 Backward Relationship Error
                          TSGal

alex_zueiv:

Your files have been received.  Thank you.

I am able to replicate the issue, and when I attached the files to the original report, I noticed that one of our Testers had already replicated the issue.  All information has now been sent to Development for review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FMP15 Backward Relationship Error
                            TSGal

alex_zueiv:

Temp files are saved instead of deleted when a file is closed in FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Go.  When a user connects to a file hosted by FileMaker Server next time, it saves unnecessary downloads over the network, and this is very evident over a WAN.

Temp files that have not been used in three weeks will be deleted.  Files that have not been closed properly will have their corresponding temp file deleted.  If disk space runs low, then unused temp files, starting with the oldest, will be deleted, followed by the contents of temp files that are in use.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

5 of 5 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: FMP15 Backward Relationship Error
                              alex_zueiv

That makes sense. Thank you for the info!

• 12. Re: FMP15 Backward Relationship Error
                                alecgregory

I am also seeing this issue but can work around it for now.

I did also want to say that I really appreciate the steps FMI are taking to improve WAN performance. I am happy to see the WAN performance improvements in FM15 and I hope that there's more to come in this area in the future.

• 13. Re: FMP15 Backward Relationship Error
                                  TorstenBernhard

TSGAL,

Thank you for this valuable information.

Is this anywhere to find in documentation?

• 14. Re: FMP15 Backward Relationship Error
                                    TSGal

TorstenBernhard:

This information came from Development and is not in the documentation.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next