3 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2016 2:27 AM by erolst

Conditionally change calculation field based on "If" statement.

RyanAshton

Hello guys,

So i have a product and services list.  Most of the products and services are supplied by other companies and I just add a % in the "HKDJ_%" field and include it in the cost estimate.  However, there are some services (and in the future, products) which are and will be supplied by my company "HKDJ Limited".

I have a "Supplier" field where the supplier name can go.  I also have an "HKDJ_Item" calculation field [Cost_Price * HKDJ_%] and also a summary field called "HKDJ_Total" that adds all the "HKDH_Items' together.

The problem is that when my company (HKDJ Limited) is the "Supplier", then obviously I don't put a percentage on top of the "Cost_Price" field and consequently, the "HKDJ_Total" field result is inaccurate.

Basically, if the "Supplier" = "HKDJ Limited" then I want the "HKDJ_%" to be 0 (zero) (and it can't be changed) and I want the "HKDJ_Total" = "HKDJ_Item * Quantity", else I want "HKDJ_%" to = what was originally entered and I want "HKDJ_Total" = "Cost_Price * Quantity"

I hope that makes sense.

I tried it out myself (see below), but the fields are displaying "?".

Screenshot 2016-05-14 15.46.34.png

• 1. Re: Conditionally change calculation field based on "If" statement.
          bigtom

Which table are you evaluating the calculation from?

• 2. Re: Conditionally change calculation field based on "If" statement.
            RyanAshton

Those calculation fields are in "Table_Estimate_Line_Items".

• 3. Re: Conditionally change calculation field based on "If" statement.
              erolst

RyanAshton wrote:

I have a "Supplier" field where the supplier name can go.

1. Aren't you using IDs for your relationships? If not, you should!

RyanAshton wrote:

Screenshot 2016-05-14 15.46.34.png

2. You don't define a calculation in a calc field in terms of that field itself. (Unless you're trying to hack a recursive function.)

Also, you can't set (change the value of) another field here: in calcField = someOtherField = someValue, that latter part doesn't work as an assignment, but is simply an expression that evaluates to True or False, i.e. 1 or 0.

For a calc field that multiplies fields a and b, write a * b, not calcField = a * b; it's implicit that you want to set that field (in fact, if you look more closely, it says so above the calculation area : fieldName = ).

3. You shouldn't reference prices, markups and similar, time-in-point dependent data; rather, look them up and store them in a regular field.

You could try

Case (

IsEmpty ( Self ) ; // especially on record creation

Supplier::HKDJ% ; // put in a value of 0 for your own Supplier record

Case ( // here we know it is not empty

Supplier::id = yourOwnID ;

0 ; // always reset for own

Self // keep for others

)

)

untested