Quick setup guide for FileMaker 15 & Postgres on a local Mac
- This is a rough quick start guide to help others setup a local development environment with Postgres (via Postgres App) and FileMaker 15 desktop using the new Actual ESS Adapters for FileMaker 15
- I'm guessing will be fairly similar process for Windows but I'm not over that side of the fence much.
Download & Install Required apps
Download & Install 'Postgres App' for Mac (Free)
For ease of use I'm using the 'Postgres App' rather than full Postgres Server installer. The 'Postgres App' runs locally as a Mac App (wrapping a self contained Postgres Server) with a Menu Bar icon for quick access.
Download here - http://postgresapp.com/
Download the Actual Technology 'ODBC drivers' & new 'ESS Adapter'
- Actual ODBC Drivers Pack (has trial mode, to buy its $39.95 for local machine or $299 for FileMaker server)
- Actual ESS Adapter (Free on Mac, $39.99 on Win)
- Download here: http://www.actualtech.com/download.php
- If on Windows, believe you use the official Postgres ODBC driver for Windows (which is Free) & licence the 'Actual Technologies ESS Adapter' instead ($39.99)
- Probably best to install these drivers after you've setup your Postgres database(s) - see below.
Download & Install a Postgres GUI client (to create and manage your Postgres databases)
GUI clients make managing Postgres a little easier, however can use Postgres 'psql' Terminal Console to manage if so inclined. (quick access to that via 'Postgres App' Menu Bar Icon)
- native mac app, same guy who maintains 'Postgres App' above, integrates nicely with it out of the box.
- Simple UI with useful features like copy & paste from excel/csv into Postgres table 'content'
- $39.99 but fairly open ended trial with a few limitations (you indirectly support his 'Postgres App' project if do buy it).
Some Free Postgres GUI clients
Connect your Postgres GUI client to 'Postgres App'
'Postgres App' connection settings are: -
- Host: localhost
- Port: 5432 (default)
- User: (Your OSX Username)
- Password: blank
Database: (Your OSX Username)
If your GUI client requires a URL, use: postgresql://YOURUSERNAME@localhost/YOURUSERNAME
Tip: with 'Postgres App', you use your OSX username to connect to databases. Will need it when connecting via a Postgres GUI app & when adding ESS source to your FileMaker database.
Add Postgres Database(s) and Tables, Columns & Content to local Postgres Server.
- Fairly easy once you've connected your GUI client to local 'Postgres App' server. If not worked with SQL database before would recommend using 'Postico' GUI client as I found it the least difficult to get rolling with.
- See your chosen GUI client / Postgres help for further support using Postgres databases.
Install the Actual Technology ODBC drivers & ESS Adapter on your Mac
- Note: Best to setup a test Postgres database above before doing this bit, as need to point the ODBC System DNS at it.
- Install the Actual Tech ODBC Pack Drivers first
- *Setup up 'System DNS' datasource for Postgres via 'ODBC Manager' app in Mac Utilities.
Install the Actual ESS Adapter and point it at the previously created ODBC DNS
*the Actual Technology quick start instructions help here.
Add your Postgres database to your FileMaker database with ESS
- Open the FileMaker database you wish to connect to the Postgres Database
- Go to File > Manage > External Data Sources
- Click New, Name it, click the 'ODBC' radio button.
- 'Specify DNS', should see & choose the 'Actual ESS Adapter' data source you created above when installing (if not create in 'ODBC manager')
- In File > Manage > External Data Sources 'Specify Username and password': add your username (OSX Username if using 'Postgres App'), you won't need a password unless you've set it up in the 'Postgres App'. [Tip: this stops FileMaker prompting you for a Postgres password each time you open you FileMaker file]
- Go to FM relationships graph, add a TO, choose a table from your recently added ESS data source
- That should be it (ie. you should now be able to read, write, add, delete data from your Postgres database tables within FileMaker)
- Tip: Use 'Refresh Window' in FileMaker to update changes if you add data via your Postgres GUI client.
Please comment below if any errors, additional Windows information, etc. There maybe a few as I quickly threw together while setting up today.