2 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 2:06 PM by electon

Move table to separate file and maintain relationships and scripts?

miketibbit

I'm in the process of developing a solution and decided mid-stream that I need one of my tables to be a stand-alone file and no longer be a table in it's existing file. It it possible to move it out and retain relationships and scripts associated with it easily?

For simplicity sake existing FileA has (2) tables:

1) Projects

2) Expenses

The data is related by a common project number.

I would prefer this arrangement:

FileA

1) Projects

FileB

1) Expenses

Data related by common project number.

FileB will live on a remote server and be accessible by several other Web Direct solutions, whereas FileA will live on my local network and access FileB remotely.

Thanks,

Mike

• 1. Re: Move table to separate file and maintain relationships and scripts?
          Mike_Mitchell

Relatively easy. Here's what you do:

1. Create an external data source pointing to the new file.
          2. Copy the table to the new file.
          3. On the Graph in the original file, point the table occurrences (TOs) for the relocated table to the new file. (Just double-click on each one and choose the data source from the pull-down menu.)
          4. Done.

Remember that FileMaker always works through TOs. If you direct the TO to a different source, all the relationships and script references still are preserved, because they point to the TO, not to its source.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Move table to separate file and maintain relationships and scripts?
            electon

Make a copy of your file to create FileB.

Strip out whatever you don't need from FileB ( optional )

In FileA choose Manage > External Data Sources

Add your FileB there

Now in Manage Database double click your tables that must come from FileB and point them to your External Data Source

Later when you upload FileB to the server just create a new External data source pointing to the server.

Remove the old reference ( just in case it will want to grab the local FileB's data.

There is more to splitting files. You must take care the accounts, passwords and preferably privilege sets match.

Learn how to handle re-login, etc...