3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2016 12:19 PM by sreese

Interactive PDFs spiral out of control

sreese

Occurs in FIleMaker Pro and Advanced 15 -

Windows 7 Professional and Enterprise

When you have an interactive PDF container on a layout and you browse to the next record FileMaker doesn't close the existing page when going to the next. As you browse through more pages the adobe reader keeps growing in memory usage.

+ 3 records later

Given a little time after closing the file the AcroRd32.exe process will exit clearing up the memory.

• 1. Re: Interactive PDFs spiral out of control
          TSGal

sreese:

Thank you for your post.

This is expected behavior.  Interactive container fields are identical to Web Viewers.  The data is accessed using the OS Webkit, and much of that data is cached for later viewing so that the PDF is not loaded each time the record is accessed.  Once the file is closed, the memory is released.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Interactive PDFs spiral out of control
            sreese

That is really not an acceptable answer. It should be controllable. FileMaker shouldn't make the assumption that we want things cached. What I am discovering is that FileMaker likes to make a lot of assumptions about what the customers would want rather than give them options.

• 3. Re: Interactive PDFs spiral out of control
              sreese

So after some serious testing on this today I have a workaround. It is far from ideal but I wanted it to be posted so if anyone else comes across this at least they have an idea

Its pretty simple, but it doesn't actually close out the webkit.All it does is to keep the memory from spiraling out of control.

1. Freeze Window
              2. Go to a different layout on the same table
              3. Go to the next record
              4. Return to the original layout

This has kept my webkit from exceeding 20mb used.