9 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 6:05 PM by steveromig

how to remove a license from a computer

amyrice1046

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knows the procedure to remove one computer station's license key and use the license to add a new computer? We have a new PC in our office and even tho I removed/uninstalled the first one, FileMaker Pro 14 is telling me there are too many PC's trying to use the 5 device licenses. The documentation I have found for FM Pro 14, just says uninstalling the software from the PC being removed should allow the software to be installed and used on the new one. It seems that it's not that simple...

Thanks, Amy

• 1. Re: how to remove a license from a computer
          beverly

Did you use the method of "installing" (again) on the old machine, but selecting "uninstall"? or just tried to remove items?

beverly

• 2. Re: how to remove a license from a computer
            steveromig

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knows the procedure to remove one computer station's license key and use the license to add a new computer? We have a new PC in our office and even tho I removed/uninstalled the first one, FileMaker Pro 14 is telling me there are too many PC's trying to use the 5 device licenses. The documentation I have found for FM Pro 14, just says uninstalling the software from the PC being removed should allow the software to be installed and used on the new one. It seems that it's not that simple...

Thanks, Amy

And perhaps a screenshot or quote of the actual error message you are receiving would be helpful as well in troubleshooting what is going on. 

But yes, uninstalling is all you should need to do.  On the Windows platform this can be done easily from the Windows Control Panel.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: how to remove a license from a computer
              amyrice1046

Thank you sooo much, and yes, I did the uninstall from the windows control panel, then reinstalled using the Filemaker Pro 14 CD and entered the license key. I have FM installed on 3 PCs and 2 iPhones, which is 5 total and that is what we're allowed. I will work on a screen shot of the message for you shortly Steve!

• 4. Re: how to remove a license from a computer
                amyrice1046

So, here is a link to the screen capture in Google Drive...   20160516_132329.jpg - Google Drive

• 5. Re: how to remove a license from a computer
                  steveromig

Thank you sooo much, and yes, I did the uninstall from the windows control panel, then reinstalled using the Filemaker Pro 14 CD and entered the license key. I have FM installed on 3 PCs and 2 iPhones, which is 5 total and that is what we're allowed. I will work on a screen shot of the message for you shortly Steve!

Keep in mind that each copy of FileMaker Pro needs to be installed using a unique license key (unless your purchased license(s) dictates otherwise.)

The error message you are receiving is one that you'd get if PersonA starts up FileMaker Pro and then PersonB does and both of them are using FileMaker Pro that was installed using the same license key.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: how to remove a license from a computer
                    RickWhitelaw

FMGo is not FMP (which cannot be installed on a phone). Using FMGo does not count against your total allowed.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: how to remove a license from a computer
                      schamblee

It does not count towards the number of license of FMP purchased, but it does count as a connection to FMP.  FMP has a max of 5 concurrent users, and each copy of FMGo would count as one of the concurrent users.    Just to clear up any miss understanding.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: how to remove a license from a computer
                        amyrice1046

Ok, thank you all for responding! Our licensing key paper that came with

our software says we are licensed for up to 5 devices.  I have FMGo on 2

iPhones, and FMP installed on 4 PCs, but uninstalled it from one PC. So

it's back down to 5 total.  So I'm not sure why I'm getting this error

message?  Is there a tech support number or email that will help workout

charging money?

• 9. Re: how to remove a license from a computer
                          steveromig

Ok, thank you all for responding! Our licensing key paper that came with

our software says we are licensed for up to 5 devices. I have FMGo on 2

iPhones, and FMP installed on 4 PCs, but uninstalled it from one PC. So

it's back down to 5 total. So I'm not sure why I'm getting this error

message? Is there a tech support number or email that will help workout

charging money?

A call to Technical Support should get this straightened out quickly.  They can be reached at 1-800-725-2747 in the USA.  For more information about contacting Support see here...

http://www.filemaker.com/support/contact.html

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful