3 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2016 4:07 PM by robwoof

Upgrading from FileMaker Server 11 to 15

gary.belleville@gov.bc.ca

We are planning on upgrading our installation of FileMaker Server from version 11 to 15 (it runs on the Windows Server 2008 R2 o/s).

Chapter 6 of the FileMaker Server 15 Getting Started Guide (page 60 in fms15_getting_started.pdf) states that "You can upgrade an existing installation of FileMaker Server 13 or 14 to FileMaker Server 15." Does this mean that I can't directly upgrade FileMaker Server from version 11 to 15?

Do I need to upgrade FileMaker Server from version 11 to 13 and then upgrade again from version 13 to 15?

Thanks,

Gary

• 1. Re: Upgrading from FileMaker Server 11 to 15
          steveromig

We are planning on upgrading our installation of FileMaker Server from version 11 to 15 (it runs on the Windows Server 2008 R2 o/s).

Chapter 6 of the FileMaker Server 15 Getting Started Guide (page 60 in fms15_getting_started.pdf) states that "You can upgrade an existing installation of FileMaker Server 13 or 14 to FileMaker Server 15." Does this mean that I can't directly upgrade FileMaker Server from version 11 to 15?

Do I need to upgrade FileMaker Server from version 11 to 13 and then upgrade again from version 13 to 15?

Thanks,

Gary

Short answer...no.

Recent versions of FileMaker Server allow you to import your settings from one version to your new version.  Going from FileMaker Server 11 to FileMaker Server 15 does not support this feature so you'll need to re-create your compatible / applicable settings in FileMaker Server 15 once you get it up and running.

So, in your case you'd need to make note of any settings you have in FileMaker Server 11, uninstall FileMaker Server 11, install FileMaker Server 15, and then apply any applicable / compatible settings in your new copy of FileMaker Server 15.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Upgrading from FileMaker Server 11 to 15
            tomd@worldls.com

Hi Steve,  We are also looking to upgrade from V11 to V15.  We have a db that was designed originally in V7 then converted to V9 and then V11.  There are 21 db files.  Will the scripting work if I simply open the files in V15?  Any suggestions or advice would be awesome.  

• 3. Re: Upgrading from FileMaker Server 11 to 15
              robwoof

Opening the .fp7 files in FMP15 will prompt for a location to save the new copies, since it needs to upgrade them to the .fmp12 file format (introduced in FileMaker 12 and carried on into 13, 14 and 15). Most things should be OK in the new file format, but you should test thoroughly to make sure appearance and function are as they should be.