EssexBiker

Filter records

Discussion created by EssexBiker on May 16, 2016
Latest reply on May 17, 2016 by EssexBiker

I am busy building a solution which will be accessible across multiple company sites via FM Web.

I appreciate that I will be able to set user permissions, to restrict functionality, limit actions, and accessibility to layouts etc.

I would rather like to limit users to view just the records pertaining to activity within their own site, or at the very least, only make the records for their own sight readily apparent to them.  More of a, present relevant records, than prohibit seeing anything from another site.

(included are staff, complaints, absence, holidays and so on)

So if, Fred logs on and he's based at the London site, he'll see just London's related records. Sally in Birmingham will just see Birmingham's related records.  It wouldn't be the end of the world if Sally  was clever enough to search and find a London record.

All sites have a site ID, a user would be related to their particular site too, relationships to tables have been sensibly created with a _pk _fk,

Would my initial thoughts of setting a variable based on the user's site ID, ( their base) and filtering be the way forward?  There will be I'm guessing upward of 30 layouts once completed, or would this be unwieldy?

Just to throw into the mix, some users, ( senior managers, should be able to view all records, not just a particular site)  And a further throw in  being that there will be an area where I will store company forms and policies so that all can view & download.

Views on how this would be best approached would be appreciated.

All best wishes,

Outcomes