9 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2016 6:01 AM by rkutcher

Printing Portal

rkutcher

I would like to print a set of records where a few of the records are displayed in a portal.   The records are all based on the same table but the portal records are very small and do not require a full page and therefore have a match field and are displayed in the portal.

Printing the full page records is fairly straight forward but I could use a bit of guidance on how to get the portal page to print along with the others.

• 1. Re: Printing Portal
          SteveMartino

Most people recommend to not print portals.  Maybe a solution would be to gather the main records and portal records  in a virtual list and print from there.

It appears you are displaying records on a layout, with a self join of the same table, with additional records.  Are they in an order where you have full records mixed with the portal records? If not, can you first print the full records from a layout, then print the smaller records from a different layout?

Or, can you make the portal slide up so it disappears on records that don't have portal records?

• 2. Re: Printing Portal
            rkutcher

Yes I have read about printing from portals.  The info in mine is limited to about a dozen lines so all lines will show without scrolling.

You are right the portal is a self join.  I have a layout for the single records and another for the portal.  What I would like to do is create a script that finds all the single records (fairly easy, even for me) and then have the portal appear as the last page (on a different layout obviously.).

I guess I'm having difficulty understanding how I display one set of records on the single page layout and the others on the portal layout.

Regards,

Richard

(250) 885-6844

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: Printing Portal
              SteveMartino

If there is a unique way to find or mark  the second smaller set, you could do a number of things:

Not the best way.

1.  After you get your found set, Open 2 more windows.  You'll have 3 windows with the same found set.  Window 2, omit the portal records, print or print to pdf, close the window.  Third window, omit all records except portal records, (I would) change to a regular list view of those records, print, or print to pdf append, close that window.

2.  Gather all the records using the virtual list technique, then print.

I don't understand the need for records from a table, and more records from a self join, print all.  It may indicate that you could benefit from a change in structure, which make the printing easier.

• 4. Re: Printing Portal
                rgordon

Put the portal in a trailing grand summary and set the grand summary to start on a new page. 

• 5. Re: Printing Portal
                  rkutcher

Steve,

I had thought of using a list view rather than the portal.  From what I’m hearing having a found set display in two different layouts is a bit unusual.  The other option, a little less elegant, is to make the whole printing exercise a two step process.  Print the single page records then print the portal or list view page.

Regards,

Richard Kutcher

Kutcher Engineering & Inspections Inc.

250-885-6844

• 6. Re: Printing Portal
                    rkutcher

Sounds easy.  I’ve struggled with Grand Summaries in the past but I might give them another try here.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Richard Kutcher

250-885-6844

• 7. Re: Printing Portal
                      rgordon

I think the easiest option is to have a script that processes two print jobs since you are really dealing with two different layouts. If you need a PDF, you could use the append to PDF option.

• 8. Re: Printing Portal
                        rgordon

As long as portals don't need to cross page breaks, you can print portals.

• 9. Re: Printing Portal
                          rkutcher

That seems to be the easiest solution.  No point in making things more difficult than they need to be.

Thanks you and Steve for your help.

Regards,

Richard Kutcher

250-885-6844