11 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2016 1:18 PM by LSNOVER

PsoS WebDirect Bug?

electon

I have a bit of a situation here.

The setup is:

Development Server 15 running on OSX 10.11.5

FileMaker Pro Clients: 14 & 15

Access to WebDirect via Safari: 9.0.3

Credentials are handled by Open Directory that runs on the same server. ( let's not get into that... )

Server uses the standard SSL certificate that came with it.

Two files: Main App and Media ( just containers with external open storage )

I'm importing XML with XSL where XML has base64 encoded pdf. Because it will not work in WebDirect I need to use Perform Script On Server.

The image is first imported to a global container then placed in a related record in the Media file.

I've tested this with FMPro, works like a breeze.

However it fails to set the image in the Media file.

Server shows error:

Authentication failed on the Media file ...

Followed by Error Code 100 =  File not found

All credentials, privileges etc have been checked and the problem is not there.

It works when:

Logged in with Full Access account ( server local account )

Script is granted Full Access privileges.

Could it be due to the standard SSL certificate?

Or is this a BUG that needs reporting?

I still have to check when SSL is disabled on the server.

Thank you,

Thomas.

• 1. Re: PsoS WebDirect Bug?
          LSNOVER

WHere exactly on the server are you dropping the file?

Server only has read write access to very specific places on the server.  Many of these restrictions are not applicable to the full client when you are logged in as a user.

• 2. Re: PsoS WebDirect Bug?
            electon

The file is dropped onto a container on the layout ( single record utility table ).

Then commit, and PsoS.

On the server:

I'm using BaseElements plugin to export field contents to Get ( TemporaryPath ) ...

It all works because other data is imported only no access to the Media FileMaker file because if won't accept credentials from EA.

Tested it with a new, local account ( not Full Access ) and privilege set for EA user. Not a problem.

So it seems to me that it's still a bug with External authentication and External Data Source.

???

• 3. Re: PsoS WebDirect Bug?
              LSNOVER

Can you enumerate your exact steps.

I'm not quite sure where your process is failing.

You are exporting to a temporary folder, then exactly what are you trying to do?  Is the file successfully saved to the Temporary folder?

THere are limitations on what you can do in the scope of server because of credentials, but they can sometimes be overcome with some work.  I've had some cases where I've had to use a combination of DOS Batch script commands and Powershell to get what I needed, and even with those tools, there are some places where things will work, and other places they won't.  It can be very frustrating.

• 4. Re: PsoS WebDirect Bug?
                electon

I'll try to make it simple:

All the steps work.

The xml is successfully exported from the container and imported into tables.

I don't have issues with File Not found when doing export / import nor accessing the file system.

Everything is done in the Main file and the base64 text from XML is imported alongside other fields.

Then I do base64 decode to store the "embedded" pdf in a container in the external data source file ( Media ).

The media table is related to the main table and set to allow record creation via relationship.

Where it fails is server will not authenticate a Remote Data Source.

It just can't access / open the Media.frmp12 file. Hence the Error Code 100.

It only fails when connecting via WebDirect using External Authentication.

• 5. Re: PsoS WebDirect Bug?
                  LSNOVER

Still not understanding where the failure is.

What program/context are you in when you get this error?

Where/how are you attempting to access this "Media.fmp12" file?  Is it on the server and being shared via FM server?

Are you creating the Media.fmp12 file on the fly, or is it pre-existing and setup already?

Assuming it is already there and being shared, can you open it and login to it normally on the server?

Sorry for all the questions, but when dealing with Server side issues, there are many contexts and I'm not quite getting all of the pieces.

• 6. Re: PsoS WebDirect Bug?
                    electon

LSNOVER wrote:

Sorry for all the questions, but when dealing with Server side issues, there are many contexts and I'm not quite getting all of the pieces.

No problem at all, thanks for sticking with me.

What program/context are you in when you get this error?

In Safari accessing the solution via WebDirect

Where/how are you attempting to access this "Media.fmp12" file? Is it on the server and being shared via FM server?

It's hosted on the same FileMaker server 15. It's a two - file solution and I can access data from both files in WebDirect.

Are you creating the Media.fmp12 file on the fly, or is it pre-existing and setup already

No, it's already there, Pre-existing and setup and tested / working with FMPro.

Assuming it is already there and being shared, can you open it and login to it normally on the server?

Idem ditto. All is dandy with Pro.

The issue here, and I probably shouldn't mention the XML bit because it seems to be irrelevant, is this:

The way FileMaker operates is: it passes main ( first opened ) file's credentials to all other External Data Source .fmp files as it opens them for access. Works with PsoS calls from FMPro.

This bit fails when connecting via WebDirect using External Authenticated account, either the credentials are not evaluated at all or there's some other bug.

It's just this combination that is not working. I still need to try disabling the SSL certificate and see if this works.

• 7. Re: PsoS WebDirect Bug?
                      LSNOVER

OK, so it is ONLY failing in WebDirect?

Did this all work OK under FMS14?

If you take the same file that is being produced on your server and manually insert it into the container field, does it work then?

Are all files in the container erroring out, or just the ones created through this server process?

Is the file that goes into the container being stored via External Storage (outside of the .fmp12 file), or is it being stored inside of the Filemaker file?

I don't think the SSL certificate would stop you from accessing the file altogether, it might just generate a warning if there is a problem.

Did you reissue your SSL certificate after upgrading to FM15?

• 8. Re: PsoS WebDirect Bug?
                        Mike_Mitchell

FileMaker Server will not automatically open a related file via PSoS. Are you opening the Media file explicitly prior to attempting the import?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: PsoS WebDirect Bug?
                          electon

I think we're getting onto something.

No, I'm sure I don't open it explicitly.

I don't do it when running same PsoS from FMPro and it works every time.

It has been considered a "bug" and It used to fail in Pro.

Maybe it still is but it does work using Pro without doing anything and fails every time in WebDirect.

The thing is i've been testing it in WD and Pro "trying" exactly the same steps always closing and opening the solution in between.

It's the same file both type of clients access.

So there must be something that is different ( like everything, LOL ) about WebDirect how it treats this case .

After more testing WD ( just started playing with this ) it does not matter if the user is a Local or Network account.

I must have strayed from the test procedure and open the Media file somehow.

You mention "you must open the file explicitly prior attempting the import" but the "OpenFile" command is not supported under WD nor Server.

So I decided to "touch" the relationship

If [ IsValid ( MediaFile::id ) ]

End If

That works now, thank you very much!

Oh, it's so frustrating as I've been there before with Pro and Server, just hoped it was either resolved or clearly stated in the help manuals that this is expected behavior.

Not a happy camper.

• 10. Re: PsoS WebDirect Bug?
                            electon

LSNOVER

Thanks for helping!

I think It's resolved for the time of being.

+1

• 11. Re: PsoS WebDirect Bug?
                              LSNOVER

Glad you pinned it down.