Fred(CH)

Product and version

FileMaker Pro 15.0.1

OS and version

OS X 10.10.5

Hardware

iMac Retina 5K 27'' Late 2014

Description

The Script workspace preference pane of FileMaker 15 allows us to not include new scripts on Scripts menu by default. However, if the script is created directly from a button in layout Mode, this preference does not apply.

How to replicate

Make sure you have unchecked the preference that include new scripts in scripts menu : using the Script Workspace, menu command DISPLAY > SCRIPT WORKSPACE PREFERENCES…

Back in layout Mode, create a button and a new script using the button's configuration panel.

Workaround (long version) : close all the dialogs, go to the script workspace and using the appropriate menu, exclude the new script of scripts menu.

• 1. Re: Display new script on Scripts menu preference ignored
          TSGal

Fred(CH):

Thank you for your post.

This is the intended design and the reason it was named Script Workspace Preferences.  There has already been a suggestion to have this preference setting active for other places that can create scripts, and I have attached your post to that suggestion.  I would also recommend entering this suggestion to our Product Ideas board at:

Product Ideas

The Product Ideas board is monitored by Product Management and Development.  All entries are read, discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Display new script on Scripts menu preference ignored
            Fred(CH)

Thank you for answering !

Yes i noticed the specific placement of this preference and the manner it was accessible.

But i nevertheless reported that because i thought it made no sense to differenciate the two cases.

To be honest i will not spent more time to submit it in Product Ideas. The rest is up to FileMaker Dev Team

Thank you anyways !

Fred

• 3. Re: Display new script on Scripts menu preference ignored
              hschlossberg

I agree, Fred.  Why on Earth would anyone expect the differentiation between scripts created in the workspace versus from a button?!?  The worst part of this is that it cannot be removed from the menu when creating from a button -- you then have to finish the button's script definition, open up the script workspace, find the dang script, open up the menu checkbox sidebar and unmark it.  What the...?  And I agree with Fred -- this should not be a feature request -- it's already been requested, FMI supposedly "fixed" it, and yet they didn't think to fix it all the way!

Howard

• 4. Re: Display new script on Scripts menu preference ignored
                Vincent_L

No TSGal, That's not a feature request, that's a bug fix.

That feature was asked and needed because auto-puting script in the layout menu is a terrible idea to begin with, it's a data loss risk (as someone on the forum  lost some data due to a new delete all script that got automatically a keyboard shortcut).

Anyways, if it's recognized that the dev needs control on it, it's not to destroy this control silently in the background through an unconscious process.

"This is the intended design and the reason it was named Script Workspace Preferences"

I seriously hope that's miscommunication with your team, if someone at FMI actually thinks it's a good idea, it's that he never wrote a script in his life, it's wrong from all standpoints : usage and pure logic.

The whole purpose of that preference is to reassure the dev that he his in control, so he can create new script without altering the choice he made by allowing or not scripts in the menu. The dev purposely went to that obscure pref pane (that neither you and me were able to discover by the way) and willingly set it to not put new script in the menu. So he made a clear choice, he knows he made it, he's confident about that. That's not to have a way that new script can appear by another way. That's even worse and more dangerous that without that feature. At least before  the dev knew (after losing some data for instance) that FM had this terrible behavior. Now, the release note says it's fixed, there's a pref pane for that. So there's no way any other mechanism can put script automatically if the pref is uncheck.

So that "expected" behavior is just nullifying the whole feature, and makes it even worse than before.

And if it really was the intended way, why on earth wasn't it mentioned in the feature description ? and finally what's the value of that bogus behavior.  That's nonsense.

This need to be fixed

• 5. Re: Display new script on Scripts menu preference ignored
                  TSGal

hschlossberg and Vincent_L:

Thank you for your comments.  I have attached your posts to the original request.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Display new script on Scripts menu preference ignored
                    Fred(CH)

Oh sorry, i would just also add that the following argument is not consistant BECAUSE following the reasoning until the end, the colors of syntax should also only apply when the script is created or accessed by the Script Workspace and not from a button :

This is the intended design and the reason it was named Script Workspace Preferences.

Thank you once more.

• 7. Re: Display new script on Scripts menu preference ignored
                      hschlossberg

TSGal wrote:

This is the intended design and the reason it was named Script Workspace Preferences.

I've come back to this thread today after adding a handful of new scripts to a particular solution today and finding them ALL on the Scripts menu. Why? Because I'd created them from buttons and triggers; there's not even a way from there to unmark it from appearing in the Scripts menu (without closing that window, opening the scripting workspace, finding the correct script, clicking the button to make the checkboxes appear, and unmarking it).  It is just marked by default.

Any UX designers who did this "by design" needs to ask themselves why anything should default to appearing on the Scripts menu when we've just (by definition) created it from a button or trigger so that it won't be needed on the menu.  It's one thing (and quite silly) to ignore the Script Workspace Preferences, but it doesn't even ignore those preferences in an intuitive or logical way.

Howard

FileMaker Fan Club

• 8. Re: Display new script on Scripts menu preference ignored
                        TSGal

hschlossberg:

I have attached your comments to the original report.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Display new script on Scripts menu preference ignored
                          TSGal

All:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.