3 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2016 9:06 AM by Heidelberg

Audio container progress-bar missing FMP15

Heidelberg

Hi everybody,

got the suggestion to post it under "Product Issues" instead as general question. Since I do not know how to move a post I re-write it here.

I am using FMP 15 (without "advanced") Version 15.01.119

OSX 10.11.4 on a MacBook Pro mid 2012

just updated from FMP12 to FMP15. I’ve got some 20000 mp3 files which I can easily import in FMP15 after I added new container fields (the FMP12 container did not work). All meta data are shown when using the "getContainerAttribute" but the container as such does no longer show the progress bar in the referenced container. I can only start and stop the audio. It will resume from where I stopped. And I can rewind 30 seconds.

I suspect it has nothing to to with the filetype .fmp12 as such since I had no problems until the upgrade from FMP12 to FMP15.

Workaround:

Strange enough - if I add to a filename „.mov“ for example „mySong.mp3.mov“ I get the progress-bar as usual like for real videos. But I don’t get the meta data anymore. I could certainly work with two sets of reference file (one with .mp3 and one with .mp3.mov) - but this would mean to work with twice the storage for those file (i.e. 2x 60GB) ... unless there was a trick via text functions.

• 1. Re: Audio container progress-bar missing FMP15
          TSGal

Heidelberg:

Thank you for your post.

An Interactive container field uses the OS WebKit (like a Web Viewer) to play audio/video.  Under Mac OS X, the WebKit is modeled after Safari (Windows is Internet Explorer).  The progress bar does not display in Safari as you can see in the following demo:

http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml5_audio_all

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Audio container progress-bar missing FMP15
            Heidelberg

Thanks TSGal for your hint.

What I find strange is that Safari’s WebKit is offering a control for the progress-bar but FMP15 is not using it for its containers. When I open your horse-sound-example with a script-trigger from FMP15  Safari opens its own browser-window and plays the sound. And in the Safari Window I get that progress control which allows me to pick any point as start for the sound.

tell application "Finder"

activate

open document file "horse.mp3" of folder "Tests FileMaker" of disk "Drive1“ using application file "safari.app" of folder "Applications" of startup disk

end tell

Anyway - your response helped me to find a 90% work-around:

If you use a web viewer instead a container you get the missing progress bar.

And the URL for Webaddress can be derived using this function

GetContainerAttribute ( Containerfield-Name ; "externalfiles" ):

/Volumes/Drive1/Tests FileMaker/ horse.mp3

10% of the solution yet to be found:

whenever switching to a layout with such a web viewer your horse is welcoming me. Adding records for a cow, donkey, lion …“ would allow me to produce the sound of a zoo. In other words - switching records does not stop any sound. If a sound has been played once reentering that record would not start it again. I suspect, that this could be blocked by using the new mute-feature in Safari which allows to stop the sound by clicking on the respective tab. Or I try to mute via an apple scipt … if possible.

... or you can give me a hint how to prevent an auto-run of the web viewer

• 3. Re: Audio container progress-bar missing FMP15
              Heidelberg

so - I finally could also resolve that 10%-problem.

As long as no URL (the file-path) is available, the WebViewer remains invisible. Once a valid path is entered in the respective field, you cannot change it to another path-information (I first tried to replace it with a path to a dummy.mp3 with 1 second of white noise in order to trap the auto-play).

However you can simply use the „clear“-command for that field. After the clear you have to  deactivate this filed to make  the WebViewer  invisible again. For that purpose I  defined a field „dummyParking“ which does not show in the layout.

To sum it up. Visible are the buttons „Play“ and „Done“ each linked to a script.

For Play = set field to the local path using GetContainerAttribute("externalfiles“)

… the WebViewer becomes visible with all controls needed.

For Done = clear field with the local path … then go to field "dummyParking" … the WebViewer is hidden again