1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2017 7:42 AM by TSGal

Keyboard shortcuts don't work in Relation Graph with custom menus on

hschlossberg

1) Change menus to use a custom menu instead of standard

2) Open "Manage > Database" and go to the Relationships tab

3) Click on a relationship

4) Use CTRL-O to open it -- DOES NOT WORK

5) use arrow key to move to an attached table occurrence (or click on it directly with your mouse)

6) Use CTRL-O to open it or CTRL-D to duplicate it -- DOES NOT WORK

All works fine using the standard menu set.

• 1. Re: Keyboard shortcuts don't work in Relation Graph with custom menus on
          TSGal

hschlossberg:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue (it also happened in FileMaker Pro 14), and I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Keyboard shortcuts don't work in Relation Graph with custom menus on
            danshockley

An installed Custom Menu continues to seriously degrade the use of keyboard shortcuts in the Relationship Graph, even in FileMaker Pro Advanced version 15.0.2.

Even worse, this bug can now manifest as an application-crashing bug. Note that the following procedure causes a full application crash in FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.2:

1. With a Custom Menu installed, Open Manage Database.
            2. While holding command-shift-N down, drag the mouse, as described in the official FileMaker documentation as a method to create a note. Nothing will happen.
            3. Close the Manage Database window by pressing the Cancel button.
            4. After the Manage Database window closes, the 'Note' dialog will pop up, as if you can NOW type in a Note. Try to press Cancel, and the dialog remains. After pressing Cancel many times and observing that the dialog will not go away, try clicking the "OK" button. FileMaker crashes. Every time.

If you disable your Custom Menu, the above does not happen.

Can we please get an update on this serious bug? Especially now that it causes an application crash, with the attendant potential data loss/corruption?

• 3. Re: Keyboard shortcuts don't work in Relation Graph with custom menus on
              danshockley

Update: there is a work-around, if you remember to do it:

The Note dialog WILL go away if you press Cancel as many times as you attempted to create a note while still in the Manage Database window. No crash. However, if you make the mistake of clicking OK, the application will crash.

But, this does not address the fact that many keyboard shortcuts fail to operate if you are using a Custom Menu Set. This behavior makes no sense, as the Manage Database window should NOT be affected by the existence of a Custom Menu Set.

• 4. Re: Keyboard shortcuts don't work in Relation Graph with custom menus on
                Fred(CH)

+1 to the fellow posters here.

This specific issue have the same source than others i also reported previously and are generally Mac only :

WHY in world FileMaker refuse to get rid of custom menu when displaying a "Manage" dialog (Database, CF, Data Viewer, etc..) ?

The developer is forced to always think about it and switch to standard menu before displaying a such dialog... A PAIN !!!

My idea is because it generally annoys only the developer and not the enduser and it do not worth any effort from FM engineers, but just my idea...

• 5. Re: Keyboard shortcuts don't work in Relation Graph with custom menus on
                  TSGal

danshockley:

I am unable to replicate the issue under Mac OS X 10.11.6.  When I have a Custom Menu active in the Relationships Graph, I can press Command-Shift-N, and I am able to add a Note.

However, under Windows 7, I can replicate the issue.  Pressing Control-Shift-N will not draw a Note.  The only workaround is to click on the Text icon tool below the Relationships Graph.

If you have a sample file, send in a clone of the file.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Keyboard shortcuts don't work in Relation Graph with custom menus on
                    danshockley

I've figured out an extra piece in making the bug appear: When the user is NOT logged in with a Full Access account, but a script Runs as Full Access and has the script step: Open Manage Database. This is a way to allow certain user groups the privilege of doing field/table editing without giving them full access to security and editing full access scripts. That works - that user can create, edit, and delete fields, tables, and relationships.

Furthermore, even if you ARE logged in as a Full Access account, if you open the Manage Database using that script step Open Manage Database, the keyboard shortcuts are broken. If you ignore the script and access the menu item directly (from the File -> Manage -> Manage Database menu item), the keyboard shortcuts work.

In other words, the bug is that accessing Manage Database via the 'Open Manage Database' script step fails to "temporarily disable" the custom menu set, despite the fact that the custom menu should have no impact on the Manage Database window.

I will send you the sample file as you requested.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Keyboard shortcuts don't work in Relation Graph with custom menus on
                      TSGal

danshockley:

That is the key!  If you use the script step "Open Manage Database", the keyboard shortcut Command-Shift-N does not work with Standard menus and [Full Access] credentials.  That is, neither the custom menu is relevant nor the access privileges.

I have sent this information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

In the mean time, the workaround is the same as windows by clicking the Text Tool icon at the bottom of the Relationships Graph.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Keyboard shortcuts don't work in Relation Graph with custom menus on
                        TSGal

danshockley:

Our Testing department is able to replicate the issue, and they have confirmed the workaround as clicking the Text Tool icon.  All information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Keyboard shortcuts don't work in Relation Graph with custom menus on
                          danshockley

I'm glad we were able to figure out when this happens.

Please note that the "workaround" only helps for a single keyboard shortcut.

When you open Manage Database by using the script step "Open Manage Database", MANY of the keyboard shortcuts fail. You cannot use command-T to collapse/expand a TO, you cannot type-to-select a TO by name, you cannot use the arrow keys to navigate between TOs and along relationship lines, you cannot use command-Y to add related TOs to your current selected TOs, you cannot use command-U to select all TOs that share the same underlying base table as the selected TO. 

Some of the keyboard shortcuts DO work: command-D to duplicate a TO, delete to get the delete confirmation dialog, command-O to open and edit a TO source or selected relationship, among others.

I really hope Development will be able to fix this soon. The relationship graph is a much more sluggish place to work with so many shortcuts disabled.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Keyboard shortcuts don't work in Relation Graph with custom menus on
                            danshockley

@TSGal: any further information on whether this bug will be fixed in FileMaker 15?

There are good reasons to give certain groups of developers access to Manage Database without having to give them Full Access to everything, just so they can directly choose the menu item, since that also gives them the ability to edit Custom Functions and other sensitive items (including Manage Security!!).

Their keyboard shortcuts (and the ability to type a table occurrence to select it, or press the arrow keys to navigate between objects, etc.) should not stop working just because the Open Manage Database script step was used instead of directly accessing the menu item.

• 11. Re: Keyboard shortcuts don't work in Relation Graph with custom menus on
                              TSGal

danshockley:

There is no additional information at this time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Keyboard shortcuts don't work in Relation Graph with custom menus on
                                TSGal

hschlossberg (et al):

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Keyboard shortcuts don't work in Relation Graph with custom menus on
                                  danshockley

That actual issue does NOT appear to have been address in FileMaker Pro 16. Specifically, it looks like ONLY the keyboard shortcuts Howard original mentioned (command-O and command-D) have been fixed, instead of fixing the problem that MOST keyboard shortcuts in the Relationship Graph fail when Manage Database was opened using the "Open Manage Database" script step. That is the actual bug - Howard's original bug report here only mentions two of the symptoms. Keyboard navigation is still almost completely broken when you use the "Open Manage Database" script step.

PLEASE fix this, not just a couple of symptoms.

• 14. Re: Keyboard shortcuts don't work in Relation Graph with custom menus on
                                    hschlossberg

Agreed, Dan.  I was without keyboard shortcuts yesterday in a number of areas, including Inspector and script workspace, as well as arrow keys and CTRL-arrow keys in the RG.

1 2 Previous Next