1 2 3 4 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 8:07 AM by TSGal

FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.

drshapiro

Mac mini with OSX 10.11.4

FM Pro 15.0.1.119

FMS 15.0.1.137

Using FM Pro 15 on the same computer that is running FM Server, I opened a file (remote) to access a file running under FM Server.  The following error message appeared in a popup:

The temporary file "FMS_12A7A.... [lot's of numbers].....fch" could not be created on the system disk.  Use a different name, make  more room on the disk, or unlock it.

I have plenty of room on the system disk.  I checked a script step that contains a Perform Script referencing a script in another file, and it had quotes instead of the script name.  Trying to reselect the script, the script choices were missing.

I reverted back to FM Pro 14, and it works fine, so this is a bug in FM Pro 15 and not in my code.

• 1. Re: FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.
          TSGal

drshapiro:

Thank you for your post.

If you run FileMaker Pro 15 from a different computer, do you get the same error message?

On the server, are you running FileMaker Pro under the same user account (admin account) as FileMaker Server?

Is the file you are accessing referencing another file?  If so, does the other also file reference the original file?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.
            drshapiro

FM Pro Advanced 15 runs fine from a different computer.

Yes, I am running FM Pro Advanced under the same user account.

Yes, the reference to another file is by way of a script.  File 1 and File

two are not set up as related files.

File 1 references File 2 by way of a script.

File 1 has a Load on Open script that executes a script in File 2.  At this

point it seems to be unable to locate File 2.  With FMP 14, it will open

File 2 with no issue.

To further isolate the issue, I just tried to open File 2 directly, with

File 1 closed.  I used Open Remote, located the server, I saw File 1 and

File 2 displayed, and I clicked on File 2.  I got the same error.  Then a

window appeared with a directory of local files.  I clicked Remote, saw

File 1 and File 2 again, and I selected File 2.  Same error appeared, but

this time it opened the file.  However, the scripts in File 2 can’t locate

File 1.

• 3. Re: FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.
              TSGal

drshapiro:

Thank you for the additional information.

Since this does not occur with FileMaker Pro 14, I have sent your information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.
                PSI

From Steve,

We have recently had a couple of other reports of similar issues and are trying to track down the root cause of it.  A few follow up questions...

1. Do you also have FileMaker Server installed on this box?
                2. If you have FileMaker Server installed, can you open the file(s) from another FileMaker Pro client not installed on the same box?
                3. Can you confirm that you have write access to this box?  In other words, logged in with a full access / administrator account
                4. Does this happen if you create a sample file - say from one of the starter solutions?

Take a look at the following thread...

https://community.filemaker.com/thread/156766

...and if it sounds like it is the same thing you are seeing, it probably makes sense to continue this conversation over there.

Hi Steve,

1. I upgraded to FMS 15 last night. (btw: wd much faster. the updates they did for mobile browsers inadvertently fixed issues with my windows phone!)
                2. I can open the files with FMA 14
                3. I am logged in with full access
                4. I create a sample file using contacts. I uploaded it to FMS 15 and it opens correctly

The only difference from the other thread is he is using a mac os and I am using windows.

John

• 5. Re: FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.
                  PSI

I forgot to add that I also installed FMA 15 on my win 10 workstation and there is no problem

John

• 6. Re: FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.
                    TSGal

PSI:

Thank you for your posts.

After some searching, I found your original post at:

FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.

From the other thread (so that others who are also viewing this thread), you are running FileMaker Server 15 and FileMaker Pro 15 on the same machine - Windows Server 2012.

Do any of the files you are trying to open reference another file?  If so, does the other file also reference the original file?

What is not clear from your response to #2.  If you launch FileMaker Pro 15 on another machine, are you then able to access the FileMaker Server hosted files?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.
                      PSI

Hi TSGal,

After additional testing files created with previous versions of FMP, the single file solutions open without error.

The systems that generate this error are multi-file systems with file references between each file.

When I launch FM Advanced 15 on another machine all the files open without error.

John

• 8. Re: FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.
                        TSGal

PSI:

Thank you for the additional information.  This does appear to be the same issue.

I have attached your notes to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.
                          stephensexton

I am also getting the same error... details below if this is any help to tech support.

1. Error was first noticed after using FMPA 15 on the host machine (opening files with FMPA 15 on the same machine as FMS 14).

2. Error continues to occur since installing FMS 15 on the same machine, but only occurs if opening the files with FMPA 15.  There is no problem when opening files with FMPA 14 (also installed on host machine).

3. Error only occurs when opening the Data file of a 2 file solution (separation model), but seems to only occur after a previous version of the same 2 file solution is opened also. For example, I have Data1 & Interface1 (Solution1), and Data2 & Interface2 (Solution2) hosted on the same FMS.  If I open Data2 or Data1, there is no problem... If I subsequently open an interface file, the error occurs.

Data2 & Interface2 were original created as copies of the previous version, and renamed.  The External Data Sources for Interface2 was subsequently changed to Data2 (instead of Data1).  There was no problem when using FMPA 14.

After the error has appeared once, I can no longer open the interface files or any other files without getting the error.

On further testing, I have found that the error is reliably triggered when attempting to open the second file of the solution AFTER the first file has already been opened (e.g. open Data2, then Interface 2, or open Interface1, then Data1).

It is does NOT occur when opening either of the Data files first or in succession (i.e. Data1, then Data2, the close and reopen either).  It also does NOT occur when opening the Data file that doesn't correspond to the previously opened interface file (e.g. open Interface1, then Data2, or Interface2, then Data1).

-----

Each of the two interface files only have one external data source each - i.e. the corresponding Data file.

However, in the security settings under "File Access", the Data1 file lists Data2 as one of the authorised files, while Data2 lists Data1 as one of the authorised files.

I suspect the latter issue and the files unique ID may be relevant in this case??? I will back everything up and modify the file authorisations to see if this makes a difference.

• 10. Re: FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.
                            stephensexton

No change for me after removing all file authorisations and resetting the file's unique ID under "File Access" settings in Security.  The reset did change the unique ID as it prompted me to re-authorise with full access on the next open.  I did this for all 4 files that I mentioned above (Data1, Data2, Interface1, Interface2). 

In my case I can get around this error by quitting and reopening FMPA 15 when I need to change something in the Data files... but not ideal.

• 11. Re: FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.
                              alex_zueiv

Add an additional reference to all External Data Sources:

file:<fileName>

fmnet:/localhost/<fileName>

That will solve the problem until FMI fixed it. Check it out at:

FMP15 Backward Relationship Error

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.
                                stephensexton

Thank you...  after reading this other thread, I created a favourite host with local IP address, and I no longer experience this error (as a work around at least).

• 13. Re: FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.
                                  AndresLP

I got the same error a couple of weeks ago, accessing with FMPA15 a remote FMS14 development server over WAN.

The file was behaving strangely since I was getting disconnected every 30 minutes of so for the two hours period I worked on it.

The file has a reference to another file hosted on the same server, I wasn't getting disconnected from that one though.

This file is not in production yet, I was doing development, so I thought it could had being damaged when editing the relationships or managing fields and tables. I don't recall getting disconnected at that point though.

The servers' HD had plenty of free space, so not related to the issue.

I got a copy of the file, run a consistency check and recovery, and everything looked fine, no errors found.

Then I remembered that a day before or so I changed an externally stored container field from "secure" to "open" and thought that one of the inserted pictures could had been corrupted in the process, so I deleted all pictures (only three of them since we were just testing, inserting pictures from an iPad). Not sure if this was the cause but we have not seen this error again.

Regarding the work around mentioned in posts before, I don’t remember if the host was on my favorites list when this error happened, maybe not yet (now it is). (However, the file was on my favorites list).

• 14. Re: FM Pro 15.0.1.119 Error Message: Temporary file cannot be created.
                                    TSGal

stephensexton:

Thank you for your posts and observations.  I have attached both posts to the original report.

Testing has been able to replicate the issue and all information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next