9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2016 12:07 PM by wcfoundation

Using mouse to scroll to next record.

wcfoundation

This is dumb but why am I not able to scroll to the next record with the mouse scroll wheel in FMP15?

• 2. Re: Using mouse to scroll to next record.
          JesseH

It helped me decide to move back to 14

• 3. Re: Using mouse to scroll to next record.
            BruceRobertson

Because that was one of the best and biggest and most desired changes, since forever, which prevents the serious data disasters of moving off of the intended record, prematurely committing edits, and accidentally editing some other record just because you touched the mouse scroll wheel. Enormous relief to have this FIXED in 15.

Edit: being able to control this feature would be great.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Using mouse to scroll to next record.
              jfletch

Not dumb. It was dumb to have the record change so easily, oftentimes with the user not knowing it. VERY bad for data integrity. I had more clients demand that I "turn it off," and I had to jump through hoops to "fix" what FileMaker considered "normal" behavior for Windows users. "No; no, thank you; and hell no!"

Thank you, FileMaker, for making my life easier from now on!

• 5. Re: Using mouse to scroll to next record.
                karina

It's mentioned in other topics before.

I also want it back, we are upgrading but only on a few machines, in the office most off the people don't want to upgrade because the record scroll is gone.

But because there are also developers happy with it, I want to have the option to turn it on.

That way everybody's happy.

If you want you can vote for it.

turning on scroll wheel navigation as an option

• 6. Re: Using mouse to scroll to next record.
                  wcfoundation

Thank you for all the answers, I'll quit looking for the option.  Yes, it would be nice to be able to turn it on and off.

• 7. Re: Using mouse to scroll to next record.
                    siplus

One of the most important rules in man-machine interaction is strive for consistency.

The scroll wheel is universally used for moving a different part of the data you're looking at into visibility, not for moving to a different set of data.

Another important thing is the connection between action and result: if you are browsing through records using the ctrl-up/down method, you get a new record at each keypress and you know it; by using the wheel you risk to overshoot and miss a record, depending on how the wheel's sensitivity is configured.

I do however support a preference setting for that, although it should hold for all platforms, not only for Windows computers.

• 8. Re: Using mouse to scroll to next record.
                      jeffhannes

This was a big problem in my office, as my users have become accustomed to scrolling through many records (and our layouts don't scroll). I tried the Layout Trigger, but it slowed things down too much. Here's a nice, clean solution that works great for us:

1. Install the AutoHotKey application for Windows:

AutoHotkey Downloads

(Express install, click "Exit" once it's done installing unless you want to read the documentation)

2. Download the attached FileMakerWheel.ahk script.

3. Double-click the file to run the script. You won't see anything happen, but it should now be running. And voila! The scroll wheel now works in FileMaker 15.

A couple of caveats/notes:

a. You can see the AutoHotKey script I coded by opening it in any text editor (Notepad, TextPad, etc.) The command "#IfWinActive, ahk_class FMPRO15.0APP" tells the script to only affect FileMaker, so that it doesn't disable your scrolling on websites and the like. Now notice the version in the file is 15.0. It's possible that as new updates of FileMaker 15 are released this may need to change (though hopefully not).

b. If you restart your computer, you need to re-run the script. Alternatively you could create a windows task/event to launch the script on computer startup, or use the OPEN URL FileMaker script step to launch the AutoHotKey script by opening the file itself.

c. I added an event (the ExitApp section) to stop the script, in case you need to end the functionality for some reason. It's hot-keyed to Ctrl-Esc (the "^" is for control), but you can change it to anything you want if you use Ctrl-Escape for something else.

Also, if you have several users who need this functionality, you can streamline the installation process by creating a FileMaker script that looks something like this: (I have a single-record table called "VARIABLES" which I use to store global variables that are constant among all users... the autohotkey install file and custom script are stored in container fields in that table):

• Set Error Capture [ On ]
                      • Go to Layout [ “VARIABLES” ]
                      • Set Variable [ $file; Value:Get(DocumentsPath) & "AutoHotkey112400_Install.exe" ]
                      • Export Field Contents [ VARIABLES::AUTOHOTKEY_INSTALL; “filewin:$file” ]
                      • Set Variable [ $file; Value:Get(DocumentsPath) & "FileMakerWheel.ahk" ]
                      • Export Field Contents [ VARIABLES::AUTOHOTKEY_INSTALL; “filewin:$file” ]
                      • Go to Layout [ original layout ]
                      • Open URL [ "file:/" & Get(DocumentsPath) & "AutoHotkey112400_Install.exe" ] [ No dialog ]
                      1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: Using mouse to scroll to next record.
                        wcfoundation

Thank you!  It works beautifully!