3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2016 11:42 PM by Johan Hedman

Container fields with conditional formatting don't refresh on scroll

Jakedeg

I have a layout which shows container fields from the layout's table. These fields have conditional formatting applied to do things like change their fill color. I have noticed that when I'm scrolling through my records, the containers with conditional formatting do not redraw properly. I will be seeing the wrong image in the container. This can be fixed by either forcing a window refresh (using the refresh window command) or by entering a record. But until those steps are taken, the display is totally wrong showing mis-information, leading to a very bad experience for my users.

When I remove the conditional formatting, the fields seem to work fine.

This problem spans multiple layouts.

This issue at first seemed related, but my layouts have no nearby buttons.

How can I fix this?

• 1. Re: Container fields with conditional formatting don't refresh on scroll
          Johan Hedman

A layout have up to 6 different layers starting with the default Theme and finishing with Conditional Formatting. Every time the layout have to be rendered it starts from it´s default Theme down to last layer Conditional Formatting. If possible try to avoid Conditional Formatting to have a more optimised layout.

That will not fix your problem.

Have you tried to just load the thumb nail of the picture? That would make each image load a lot faster.

• 2. Re: Container fields with conditional formatting don't refresh on scroll
            Jakedeg

Thanks, John.

I try to minimize conditional formatting, but in some instances, it is the only way to achieve a desired UI feature.

My issue is not the speed of the layout rendering. My issue is that the wrong image renders in the container field until I manually refresh. How would a thumbnail fix this? And how do you mean load a thumbnail? Do you mean have another field with a smaller version of the image? Or is there a thumbnail feature I don't know about?

• 3. Re: Container fields with conditional formatting don't refresh on scroll
              Johan Hedman

Maybe you have come a product issue that I am not familiar with.

FMI writes

"To speed up the rendering of images in container fields, FileMaker Pro by default generates image thumbnails and caches them in memory."

When I have a container field that user can drop a file/image in I use OnObjectModify that sets another container field using the GetThumbnail() function. That is the field I show on the layout and if user want to reach for the container I open up the real file/image