3 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2016 6:44 AM by DanielShanahan

Filter Records in Forms

hangry

I have two forms based on two different tables that both have a field called Location.

These fields are not related in the database, although the values for the Location fields in both tables come from the same set of locations.

I would like to be able to set either a global variable or a global field that will be used to filter the records in both forms.

Would it be more appropriate to use a global variable or a global field for this?

Thank You.

• 1. Re: Filter Records in Forms
          DanielShanahan

As a general rule of thumb, use a global field when you want user interaction to create the filtered data.  For example, if you want the user to look at the list and have the ability to filter the data "on-the-fly", then use a global field.

HTH.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Filter Records in Forms
            hangry

Daniel

Thank you for your help. Just to clarify, should the global field reside in a third table.

For instance, I will be using this global field to filter records in Table A and Table B. Should I include a Table C to hold this global field along with others I may need?

John

• 3. Re: Filter Records in Forms
              DanielShanahan

hangry wrote:

Just to clarify, should the global field reside in a third table.

For instance, I will be using this global field to filter records in Table A and Table B. Should I include a Table C to hold this global field along with others I may need?

John,

It depends on how you are filtering.  If the filter is relationship-based, then you'll need a global field in both Table A and Table B.  If, on the other hand, the filtering is via script, then you could put the global field in Table C.