14 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2016 4:00 AM by spidenr

FMGo15 Web Viewer text size increase in landscape.

bigtom

Product and version FileMaker Go 15.0.1

OS and version iOS 9.3.1

Hardware iPhone6 Plus, iPod Touch, iPad Air2, iPad Pro

Description:

When a device is rotated to landscape on a layout containing a web viewer with no interaction (scrolling) allowed and designed to have a static size on the layout, the text in the web viewer increases but not the containing web viewer object. This causes the text to overfill the object and display truncated text in the web viewer.

How to replicate

Place a Webviewer with no interaction allowed on a layout anchored on all four sides and fill with proper amount of data:text/html to fill the object. View in FMGo and rotate to landscape.

Workaround

In FMGo14 the workaround was running this in a script trigged by on layout enter:

Freeze Layout

Go To Layout (Blank)

Go To Layout (Original)

This would resize the text back to the original size. However this behavior is not present in FMGo15. This can cause UI display issues with smaller devices that have web viewers including text. The expected behavior is for the text to remain a constant size if the size of the web viewer object has not changed.

• 1. Re: FMGo15 Web Viewer text size increase in landscape.
          TSGal

bigtom:

Thank you for your post.

In FileMaker Go 14 and earlier, FileMaker Go was using an Application Programming Interface (API) into WebKit that has now been deprecated, so in FileMaker Go 15, the new API was used.  For most text issues, insert the following into the data:text/html after <head>:

<meta name=\"viewport\" content=\"initial-scale=1.0\" />

If you want, post the formula for your Web Viewer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FMGo15 Web Viewer text size increase in landscape.
            bigtom

TSGal Problem still exists no matter what the HTML text is as far as I can see.

I want to specify that this only occurs when the web viewer is anchored on the left and right side at the same time. when only anchored to one side this issue is not present.

Here is a simplified example entered in a text field that can generate the problem. Including your recommended meta which was already present.

data:text/html,

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<head>

<meta name="viewport" content="minimum-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, initial-scale=1.0"/>

<title>Untitled Document</title>

<style type="text/css">

.paragraph {

font-family: Verdana;

}

</style>

</head>

<body>

<p align="justify" class="paragraph">Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, laudem animal ut cum, id mei natum nulla. Ne has principes consulatu, vix ne unum habeo phaedrum. Te eos enim alienum concludaturque, labore volumus sed no. Id vim justo inani ludus, at viris principes usu. Tation iisque lucilius eos et. Ad falli decore detracto has, nullam populo at ius.

</p>

<p align="justify" class="paragraph">

Soluta vocent qui ad, mei omnis delenit quaestio ei. Ius graeco facete sapientem id. Ad pri populo prompta, errem nonumy vix at, cum in homero tempor fierent. Ex eam quem constituam. No eos probo rebum nostro. Id amet eripuit vis, ne esse commodo viderer vel, aperiri insolens ad mei.

</p>

<p align="justify" class="paragraph">

Eam id causae volumus, alii accusata constituam cum in, rebum ceteros dignissim ei pro. Meis ullum an quo, alia aeque disputationi in eum. Adhuc nominati consequuntur ne eum. Alii audiam appareat usu in, mazim nullam recusabo usu no, accusamus cotidieque no eam. Vix et odio brute.

</p>

</body>

</html>

Is there support for listed text bullets in a text field? If so I do not need a web viewer.

• one
            • two
            • three
            • 3. Re: FMGo15 Web Viewer text size increase in landscape.
              bigtom

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone else as the Go14 workaround with a layout change no longer works.

Current solution is to use <meta name="viewport" content="initial-scale=1.0"/> in portrait.

Then using Get (WindowOrientation) < 0 and replacing with:

<meta name="viewport" content="initial-scale=0.65"/>

or using initial-scale=1.0 and CSS font-size; 65% seems to get the text about the same size.

How the replacement is managed is up to the developer.

• 4. Re: FMGo15 Web Viewer text size increase in landscape.
                TSGal

bigtom:

I used your example, but I do not see the issue with the overwriting.  Using your exact example in a field, I see the same result whether it is FileMaker Go 14 or FileMaker Go 15.  I have anchors on the Web Viewer on the right and left sides.  When I rotate to landscape, the Web Viewer width also expands.  The last words on the first line are "vix ne".  When I rotate to portrait, the Web Viewer contracts and the last words on the first line are now "Ne has".  Let me know what else I may be missing so I can reproduce the issue.

For text bullets, use Char (8226).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FMGo15 Web Viewer text size increase in landscape.
                  bigtom

TSGal Did the text enlarge in landscape?

If you over size the web viewer you will not see the issue.  Try setting the web viewer height on the layout to just enough to house the text in portrait for the width you selected. When rotated to landscape the font size increase is proportionally greater than the extra width provided by the orientation and the bottom of the text is cut off.

• 6. Re: FMGo15 Web Viewer text size increase in landscape.
                    bigtom

Set no scrolling interaction for web viewer.

• 7. Re: FMGo15 Web Viewer text size increase in landscape.
                      TSGal

bigtom:

Below are my screen shots of the layout and Web Viewer setup as well as portrait and landscape from iPad.  Due to the width of the post, the landscape will appear smaller, but in relation to the other text in the "WebViewer Text" field, it is the same.

Let me know what else I am missing so I can reproduce the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 2.47.11 PM.png

IMG_0242.PNG

IMG_0243.PNG

• 8. Re: FMGo15 Web Viewer text size increase in landscape.
                        bigtom

Ok I will do up a test file. Can you test on iPhone in your office?

• 9. Re: FMGo15 Web Viewer text size increase in landscape.
                          bigtom

TSGal After further testing the issue is only present in FMGo15 on iPhone/iPod touch. The text enlargement does not occur on iPad. Please find the attached file for your testing.

• 10. Re: FMGo15 Web Viewer text size increase in landscape.
                            user14047
                            <style type='text/css'> 
                            * {
                                 -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;
                            }
                            .paragraph {
                            } </style>

attached samplefile

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: FMGo15 Web Viewer text size increase in landscape.
                              bigtom

user14047 wrote:

<style type='text/css'> .paragraph {
                              -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;
                              } </style>

user14047 This is working like a champ. Another lesson learned from you.

• 12. Re: FMGo15 Web Viewer text size increase in landscape.
                                spidenr

I added into the start of my html script this:

<meta name="viewport" content="initial-scale=1.0"/>

as shown and it worked beautifully. The displayed text looks just as it used to. My script does a lot of formatting of sizes and font types to display a large amount of text and all was fixed. Thanks TSGal.

• 14. Re: FMGo15 Web Viewer text size increase in landscape.
                                  spidenr

Hi bigtom, On inspection on what happens when I rotate I do see an increase in font size going portrait to landscape by about 2pts. I originally did not see it as at a higher font size eg 24 the size change is hardly noticeable but it is there.

At setting size 10: portrait looks like 8 and landscape 12.

1 of 1 people found this helpful