4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 4:54 PM by Vincent_L

FileMaker Pro 15 WAN speed

radeffect

While FMI mentioned that they improved the WAN performance of WebDirect and Richard Carlton demonstrated speed improvement with FMP I had assumed that you would require an FM15 server to benefit from the improvements.

However, I was delighted to find out today that that isn't necessarily the case.

I opened a remotely hosted solution (FMS 14)  that was very badly written, about 850MB, with hundreds of tables and TOCs and saw a huge improvement.

I compared switching to a heavy layout on the same server at the same time between 14 and 15. FMP 15 switched in 2 seconds while 14 took about 1 minute.

It looks to me like the more the solution is complex the bigger the gain will be.

I would be interested to hear about others experiences so far...

Maybe someone has already done a scientific comparison?

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 WAN speed
          Vincent_L

Well I hope there's extra power with FMS 15, because my test result with FMS 14 are not terrific. It's a tad better, but not that dramatic.

FMPA15          FMPA14

Opening solution :                       56"10               1'11

Loading records list view :          26"92               29"72

Sorting the LV unstored calc :     2'05                 2'06

For the record, FMPA 14 client on the server machine opening from 127.0.0.1 takes 18 s (couldn't test 15 because my server is on mavericks)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 WAN speed
            Vincent_L

On LAN

FMPA15          FMPA14     FMPA13

Opening solution :                       25"65               26"10             33,07

So I really hope the performance benefits requires FMS 15

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 WAN speed
              radeffect

Yes, not much of an improvement.

How complex is the solution and how far is the host?

In my example switching from a simple layout to a layout that displays data from a lot of related tables that have a lot of calculations the effect was more dramatic.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 WAN speed
                Vincent_L

Pretty complex, many unstored calcs, SQL, 10 files involved, only 15 km SDL 1MBytes/s

But didn't do a lot of layout switching