1 2 3 Previous Next 83 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2017 1:56 AM by programm

FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files

dburnham

When I execute a script in FileMaker 15 that has been reliably working in FileMaker 14 and earlier versions, it writes a PDF file to my desktop.  If I then double-click it to open it, I get this Acrobat message.

Screen Shot.png

Using Apple Preview, the result is the same.

Screen Shot 1.png

Using the Print menu and the OS-X PDF option works fine in FileMaker 15 just like 14. 

However, producing the PDF using the Save as PDF in FileMaker 15 is useless.   Doesn't anybody test these things before the program ships?

• 1. Re: FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files
          beverly

This appears to be a Product Issue, rather than forum software feedback.

@TSGal & @TSPigeon can search for similar issues (if any). Be sure to list OS and FM version(s) - exactly used to get the error.

beverly

• 2. Re: FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files

I have the same problem - with every OS and Acrobat/Preview version.

• 3. Re: FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files
              mark_baum

I've moved this to the "Report a Product Issue" area now.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files
                TSGal

dburnham:

Thank you for your post.

In FileMaker Pro 14, did you use any Compatibility settings for the PDF?

In FileMaker Pro 15, are you able to use File -> Save/Send Records As -> PDF...?

Does everything appear as it should under Preview?

What objects are on the layout?  For example, portals, tab controls, slide controls, Web Viewers, fields, graphics, etc.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files
                  dburnham

Yes, in FileMaker 14, I used the Acrobat 7 compatibility to insure a "lowest common denominator" approach in terms of making it viewable to others.

In FileMaker 15, I cannot use File -> Save/Send Records as PDF without getting the identical error as when using the script step.

However, I can use the operating system's Print command to write a PDF document that is OK.

The document is equally "damaged" in Preview as it is in Acrobat.  If you look at my original post, you will see screen shots of error messages in both Preview and Acrobat Pro.

It doesn't matter what is on the layout.  I can reproduce this error with nothing on the layout except one field or one graphic object like a line or a rectangle.

• 6. Re: FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files
                    TSGal

dburnham:

First, I am unable to replicate the error.  I can Save/Send Records as PDF and open with Adobe Reader or Preview without any issues on multiple database files.  I know that doesn't help you, but wanted you to know that this should work.  Since this is not working for you, I'll need some more information.

If you create a new database file with one field and one record, are you able to Save/Send Records as PDF and open the resulting PDF?

What version of Mac OS X are you using?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files
                      TSGal

dburnham:

Another two users are encountering the same issue.  Therefore, I have attached your post along with the other users observations to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files
                        dburnham

I think I replied about this before, but inasmuch as you say there are engineers looking at it, I want to be as clear as I can be:

I was unable to recreate the issue when I made a new database in FMP-15.   It only happened when I was using a database that was created in an earlier version.

Trying to recall exactly which file it was, I believe it is one that I created in version 12, and it has been hosted ever since by FileMaker Server 12, then 13, then 14.  Not yet hosted in 15, but opened in FileMaker 15 the problem manifested.  When opened in FileMaker 14, there was no issue.

Because we don't get to see what Acrobat compatibility is being assigned by FileMaker 15, I can only guess what it might be doing with the script step when the file was created in an earlier version.

I am cognizant of the fact that Acrobat 5 and 6 were deprecated, but tech support says that they don't know enough about Acrobat 7 and their resources only go back as far as Acrobat 9.   If Acrobat 7 was not deprecated, then it should still work, I would think.

It's OK with me to disallow Acrobat 5 and 6, but if my vote counts for anything, the compatibility option should still be available so that PDF files that are shared with others could be saved in a way that insures that fewer phone calls will come from people who can't open it because they are using an older version of Acrobat than whatever is FileMaker's minimum.   Just saying ....

• 9. Re: FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files

My database was also created in FM 12 and served up by FM Server 12, 13, 14 and used by FMP 12, 13, 14.

I will see what happens with a new Database and if I can Save or import the data to a new file.

---

Alex Narvey

anarvey@precursor.ca

• 10. Re: FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files
                            TSGal

dburnham:

Our Testing department would like to see a copy of your database file and the corrupt PDF so they can determine the cause.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files
                              CarstenLevin

We (Codeo Danmark ApS) have tested intense with some very complex PDF documents in two customer solutions, including add to pdf.

And we do not get damaged PDF files.

Houndreds of PDF's are created every day by those solutions.

But we do get a difference from FileMaker 14 to FileMaker 15 that make us wonder. The colors are not 100% the same.

The picture to the left is from FileMaker 14 and the picture to the right is from FileMaker 15.

fm14_15_pdf.png

The colors are not as intense when saved from FileMaker 15 as they are in our present running solution in FileMaker 14.

It i measurable and visible.

In this example the difference is easiest to see when looking at the background of the poster.

Best regards

Carsten

• 12. Re: FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files
                                TSGal

CarstenLevin:

Thank you for your post.

The difference between the two JPG files above is evident.  I would like to send the two PDFs, as well as the solution that created the PDFs, to our Development and Testing departments for review.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files
                                  CarstenLevin

I will, I am asking my partner Bo Sigaard, to handle it.

• 14. Re: FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files
                                    jarvphot

I am also having the same problem saving pdf files in Filemaker 15 from a solution created in an earlier version of Filemaker.

1 2 3 Previous Next