7 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2016 6:51 AM by beverly

FileMaker 14 Training Series Advanced -- Problem with External Storage for Container Fields

NorthernData

I am studying for the FileMaker 14 certification examination, and am lost at Exercises 7.1 and 7.2, beginning on Page 96 of fts_advanced_fm14_en.pdf. This exercise involves populating a container field, and is meant to illustrate how FileMaker behaves when storing binary files externally. I believe I have followed the instructions exactly (except that I have the files stored in a folder nested among my documents, rather than directly on the desktop), yet FileMaker is not creating any external folders in the Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks Finder, for storing duplicates of the original files. I have even tried creating an entirely new FileMaker file with just two container fields (the second created when the first would not behave as expected). FileMaker appears to be embedding all files into the FileMaker database, even when the field is defined to store externally, and the box "store only a reference to the file" is checked. When I tried storing .jpg files of my own from a different folder on my computer, FileMaker posts the dialog, "Can not write the file to the external storage." When I try converting between secure and open storage, it throws the dialog, "The target base directory (referring back to where the training files are stored) is not valid." Might anyone be able to help me determine what is wrong, or even help me better define the question? My understanding (misunderstanding?) is that upon storing files externally, with only a file reference, FileMaker should create a folder in the Finder, with other folders nested inside, containing the file to be displayed in FileMaker in folders named to identify exactly where in FileMaker each file is to appear.