11 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2017 3:18 AM by Fred(CH)

GTRR with external layout red marked when Importing

Fred(CH)

Product and version

FileMaker Pro 15.0.1

OS and version

OS X 10.10.5

Hardware

iMac Retina 5K 27'' Late 2014

Description

When Pasting (or Importing) a script, a step GTRR with external layout is red marked as an error, even if nothing came broken.

How to replicate

In a multiple file solution, create a script with a gtrr instruction that go to an external layout.

Copy and paste this script (even in the same file).

Then, see how the Gtrr step is red marked as an error, even if nothing came broken.

Workaround

Just close the Script Workspace and reopen it -- all is fine.

• 1. Re: GTRR with external layout red marked when Importing
          TSGal

Fred(CH):

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I created a two file solution, linking two tables together by ID (Number field).

2. The layout of the first file is named "Table", and the layout of the second file is named "Related".

3. On the layout of the first file, I created a portal displaying fields from the second file.

4. I created a script in the first file that simply perform a Go To Related Record:

Go to Related Record [ Show only related records ; Match found set ;

From table: "Table 2" ; External ; Using layout: "Related"]

5. I copied the button, created a new script, and pasted.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: GTRR with external layout red marked when Importing
            Fred(CH)

Creation of a portal and a button is unnecessary !

The bug appear on the script Workspace, when, using the left panel, you select a such script,  do a "copy" and then, a "paste".

NOTE : doing the copy and the paste actions in a same file exhibit the error, even if it is the same as choosing the Duplicate script command. However, the Duplicate script command does not exhibit the error.

• 3. Re: GTRR with external layout red marked when Importing
              TSGal

Fred(CH):

Thank you for the additional information.

I am still unable to replicate the issue.  I highlight the main script in the left pane, copy it to the clipboard, and paste.  The pasted script shows the the new script (followed by the number "2"), and all steps, including the Go To Related Record script step, appear without any highlighting.  As you mentioned, the Duplicate script command works as expected.

NOTE: I realize the creation of a portal and button were unnecessary, but I tend to log all actions taken.  My normal actions when creating a relationship is to add a portal to the layout.  Since this involved a Go To Related Record issue, I automatically added a button that would execute a script that has Go To Related Record script step.

Do you have a sample file I can use?  If so, I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: GTRR with external layout red marked when Importing
                Fred(CH)

Trying on two brand new files from scratch, sounds like the issue does not occur if the specfied layout is the first of its table.

Creating a second layout on the destination table and specifying this new layout was enough to replicate. But specifying the first layout still works as expected.

I nevertheless sent you my two sample files with necessary steps.

Thank you.

• 5. Re: GTRR with external layout red marked when Importing
                  TSGal

Fred(CH):

I received your files.  Thank you.

I can replicate the issue with FileMaker Pro 15.0.1 using your files under both Mac OS X 10.11.5 and Windows 7.  After pasting, if I select the first script and then select the copied script, the error no longer appears.

I have sent your posts and files, along with my findings, to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: GTRR with external layout red marked when Importing
                    TSGal

Fred(CH):

Testing has confirmed the issue, as it only appears to be cosmetic.  This issue isn't related to Copy and Paste.  The issue is the external/host file doesn't have a second layout, which should not be highlighted/checked.  All information has been forwarded to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: GTRR with external layout red marked when Importing
                      Fred(CH)

Thanks for the reply !

However i am not able to understand your statements here :

This issue isn't related to Copy and Paste. The issue is the external/host file doesn't have a second layout, which should not be highlighted/checked.

Does the issue also occur in other situation than just a copy paste ?

Also, during my testings, the issue precisely occur when the external table does have a second layout which is targeted by the Gtrr step.

Maybe it is my (poor) english ?

• 8. Re: GTRR with external layout red marked when Importing
                        TSGal

Fred(CH):

Your understanding is correct.  The issue is it shouldn't be highlighted as it comes from an external file.  It is purely cosmetic.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: GTRR with external layout red marked when Importing
                          Fred(CH)

Thanks.

But i would not call "purely cosmetic" a problem which occurs during the error detection process, even temporarily, and display a wrong message to the user.

The "scripter man" will search for the mistake, until he realize there is no error in his script.

I would call "purely cosmetic" an error where only the "esthetic of things" will be altered without any other consequence...

• 10. Re: GTRR with external layout red marked when Importing
                            TSGal

Fred(CH):

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: GTRR with external layout red marked when Importing
                              Fred(CH)

Thank you for the follow up TSGal.