2 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 9:47 AM by miler24

Filemaker 15 - will be looking at other platforms

CJWatson

I have enjoyed using Filemaker as a development platform. It provides a great design 4gl. But I feel Filemaker is moving in the wrong direction with their product.

1. Filemaker 15 - this was a disappointing upgrade. Very little in new features for designing programs. With all the great suggestions left by users in the forums, they left most of them out. Especially still not being able to print in Web direct.

2. The licensing model is way to expensive.

1. When you consider that a user has to still buy a $329.00 application to connect to a $74.00 connection, how is a developer going to make back any profit if you want to make a vertical market application.

Let's say you want to host a Golf League program. It would cost $74.00 ( based on $888.00 annual for 5 users) and most competitors charge $99.00 a year to join their web operated sites. You can't use Web Direct because it doesn't print, so a user would have to purchase a $329.00 copy of FMPro.  4D has a client application for connecting to their servers that is free, why can't Filemaker. This would at least give some options until Web Direct can print.

3. Looks like they are on a path to get rid of runtimes

1. Another reason that developers will eventually lose the ability to make money from Filemaker. Again how about a Filemaker lite that will just run a filemaker file. Users don't need all the features of Filemaker pro or it's cost.

Without the above changing I can't spend another year waiting for the possibility that Filemaker will change. I can use this year to move to another platform that will allow me to accomplish the things listed above today.  Filemaker mistakingly doesn't provide a roadmap of where they want to go so I can't run a business that has a roadmap without the same from Filemaker.

• 1. Re: Filemaker 15 - will be looking at other platforms
          CICT

I hope you're a lot younger than us!

We also investigated other platforms as a result of the changes introduced in v15. However, now officially entrenched in middle age, we came to the conclusion that it would just take too much time to recreate what we have come to expect as standard within FileMaker. Particularly with the thousands of hours we've already invested in our products.

I know there has been some negativity posted regarding the v15 upgrade, but we're pretty pleased to pick up a new product and, so far, it already feels a nicer product to use than v14, with a tangible increase in productivity.

Good luck with whichever direction you choose.

Andy

• 2. Re: Filemaker 15 - will be looking at other platforms
            miler24

I'm puzzled by this:

...how is a developer going to make back any profit if you want to make a vertical market application.

We do quite well with our vertical market solution built on FileMaker.  I can tell you that if you can price your SaaS based FileMaker vertical market solution anywhere around $49/month/user, you will do quite well financially.  We charge less and provide access via Pro, Go & WebDirect.  At $99/month/user...well, that's wonderful if you can sell that!

Our WebDirect users can generate PDFs and print reports.  No, it's not a 100% native feature, but it only took us a day of work to add it.  In my opinion, if your solution relies on runtimes to stay profitable, you probably shouldn't be offering it in the first place.  Keep in mind that the Solution Bundle Agreement (SBA) program is specially designed to handle the pricing issues you're raising here.  As such, your pricing calculations are way too high.

As a FileMaker Business Alliance (FBA) member, FileMaker involves us among the many hundreds of other firms worldwide in what features to develop and what its plan for the future is.  Become a FBA and join us in the conversation.

Without FileMaker, I wouldn't have a business and wouldn't be able to compete.  We use other platforms too, but we rely the most heavily on FileMaker because of its truly unique combination of features, rapid development, and ease of deployment.

Eric Miller, CEO

DocuWrx Corporation